[Reader-list] Shahidul Alam detained by Indian Border Security Force

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Sun Jun 21 02:49:23 IST 2009

Where exactly does the continuity of the nation state become the
discontinuity of the border? Let's take the country currently known
as Poland. In the twentieth century different bits of it have been in
Russia, Germany, Lithuania and Slovakia. Today, Poland is part of the
Schengen system and a part of the European Union. Over the last one
hundred or so years, Poland has had its borders redefined in various
ways. Until the early nineties of the twentieth century, it was
impossible for some one from France to come to Poland without a
strict visa system, but it was relatively easy for people from
Vietnam to come to Poland as students and guest workers, today the
situation is exactly the opposite. So, how exactly has the border
acted in a way other than arbitrarily. What makes Vietnamese welcome,
French unwelcome, and then vice versa across a matter of a few years?

I can see your point about the fact that some units of management of
space have to exist, but why do these have to operate on the basis of
exclusion? What purposes does exclusion serve? What is the way in
which priniciples of exclusion can be made fair and just? Can they be
made fair and just?

What is it that dictates, for instance, that Nepalis can at present
live and work in India without visas, and that Bangladeshis cant?

Finally, and this is a response to Rakesh. I have not heard people
whom we normally nominate as the poor, complain about the presence of
Bangladeshis in our city. For instance, Delhi has a large population
of Bangladeshi migrant workers who live in squatter settlements.
Their non-Bangladeshi neighbours who live in squatter settlements do
not normally lead the climate of opinion that sees Bangladeshi
immigrants as a problem. Frankly, they have neither the property, nor
the entitlements to think of their Bangladeshi neigbours as
encroachers, primarily because they are seen as encroachers
themselves. The only people whom I have heard complain about the
presence of Bangladeshis in Delhi are those with property and
entitlement, to whom the average Bangladeshi constitutes no rivalrous
threat.

This is somewhat paradoxical, those who complain about the presence
of Bangladeshis in Delhi are those who are clearly not in a position
to be the competitiors for resources with Bangladeshis. This makes me
wonder where exactly the antipathy stems from. My hunch is,
prejudice, which is passed on as an altruistic defence of the poor
with whom the carriers of the prejudices have nothing in common.
Interesting, isnt it?

best

Shuddha

On 21-Jun-09, at 12:54 AM, Rahul Asthana wrote:

> Dear Shuddha,
> Please read my reply to Anupam.The analogy was not implied.
> I think that there can be valid reasons to enforce man made ,
> ephemeral , artificial etc. borders. That catch-all reason alone is
> not enough to strike down the restriction for free flow of human
> beings between national borders.
> In principle there is nothing wrong or right about free flow of
> capital or human beings."Artificial, ephemeral, man-made"
> geographical and administrational borders are necessary,among other
> things because of the simple reason of accountability and
> manageability, as functional units for economic co-operation and
> security.Someone representing a particular geographic continuum is
> accountable and responsible for the decisions taken with respect to
> it.
> I want you to come up with some good reasons why you think the
> boundaries and definition of a nation state should not be observed.
> Let me repeat, saying that it is an "artificial, ephemeral, man-
> made border" , so it should be stricken down is not a good reason.
>
> Thanks
> Rahul

Shuddhabrata Sengupta
The Sarai Programme at CSDS