[Reader-list] Shahidul Alam detained by Indian Border Security Force

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Mon Jun 22 04:09:44 IST 2009

Dear Rahul,

This is not a luddite argument. As far as I know, the internet,
electricity and fire have not spawned a form of politics that led to
two world wars in the twentieth century and numerous other forms of
armed conflicts, and the obscenity of standing armies. Nations and
nationalism have. And that is why I have a position against
nationalism that cannot be automatically extended to the internet or
to electricity. The two kinds of things have nothing in common other
than the fact that they are made by human beings.

We are often told that nation states are indispensable. We know that
they are historically contingent, and as with all historically
contingent matters, we can take a call as to whether or not they are
worth having around. In other words, we can see for ourselves that
they are not necessary for human beings to be what they are. Of
course, we can just as well take a call about other human made
things, like the ways in which we use electricity and the internet.
And I am sure that there are people who wish that the internet was
not around. But I am not one of them, and just because I have a
stance against nationalism does not mean that I have a stance against
all things that have arisen as a result of human effort.

Nationalism is as much of a choice as is the internet and all other
things shaped by human beings. But,  there is nothing that dictates
that choosing one must necessarily involve choosing the other.

I hope I have made myself clear.

best

Shdudha

shuddha at sarai.net