[Reader-list] Shahidul Alam detained by Indian Border Security Force

S. Jabbar sonia.jabbar at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 10:10:21 IST 2009

My two cent bit to this discussion: wars and armies
(standing/notwithstanding) have existed even before the existence of nations
and nation-states.  What does that tell us about human beings?  Remove
nations and wars will disappear?  You underestimate our inventiveness!

> From: Shuddhabrata Sengupta <shuddha at sarai.net>
> Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 04:09:44 +0530
> To: Rahul Asthana <rahul_capri at yahoo.com>
> Cc: sarai list <reader-list at sarai.net>
> Subject: Re: [Reader-list] Shahidul Alam detained by Indian Border Security
> Force
>
> Dear Rahul,

This is not a luddite argument. As far as I know, the internet,

electricity and fire have not spawned a form of politics that led to
two
> world wars in the twentieth century and numerous other forms of
armed
> conflicts, and the obscenity of standing armies. Nations and
nationalism
> have. And that is why I have a position against
nationalism that cannot be
> automatically extended to the internet or
to electricity. The two kinds of
> things have nothing in common other
than the fact that they are made by
> human beings.

We are often told that nation states are indispensable. We know
> that
they are historically contingent, and as with all historically

contingent matters, we can take a call as to whether or not they are
worth
> having around. In other words, we can see for ourselves that
they are not
> necessary for human beings to be what they are. Of
course, we can just as
> well take a call about other human made
things, like the ways in which we
> use electricity and the internet.
And I am sure that there are people who
> wish that the internet was
not around. But I am not one of them, and just
> because I have a
stance against nationalism does not mean that I have a
> stance against
all things that have arisen as a result of human
> effort.

Nationalism is as much of a choice as is the internet and all other

things shaped by human beings. But,  there is nothing that dictates
that
> choosing one must necessarily involve choosing the other.

I hope I have made
> myself clear.

best

Shdudha
On 22-Jun-09, at 12:55 AM, Rahul Asthana

shuddha at sarai.net
www.sarai.net
www.raqsmediacollective.net

_____