[Reader-list] Invitation to participate: What's Your Gift? Project

Chintan chintangirishmodi at gmail.com
Sun Jun 21 03:34:45 IST 2009

Dear friends,
This has been on my mind for a while. And I'm delighted to share it with
you.
Do make time to read this, and let me know what you think at
whatsyourgiftproject at gmail.com
Love
Chintan

*What's Your Gift? *

The What's Your Gift? Project is based on a deep conviction that each one of
us has gifts to offer, and that it is the sharing of these gifts in a spirit
of service that can well become an organising principle for the way we live.
This project is a humble effort to look for, document and share the stories
of those beautiful people who've recognised their gifts and are using them
generously for the benefit of others.

The need for such stories is strongly felt at a time when people are
beginning to lose their trust in being compassionate, reaching out, and
helping others. They seek to be reassured that that money isn't
such a reliable measure of happiness; that it is possible to do something
just for the love of it; and that one can find a great sense of delight in
knowing that one has been useful.

Here are some stories I have come across recently:

* A musician who takes people on trips to Ladakh and Kashmir -- trips that
are less touristy, and more of an exploration into how our lifestyle choices
impact the earth in hazardous ways, because of our callous preference for
convenience and comfort over the health of the universe that sustains us in
the first place

* A social psychologist who devotes much of her time to connecting people
that might be able to benefit, support and learn from each other -- a person
who freely shares her contacts, resources, time, and energy with many who
speak of her with grateful hearts

* A filmmaker couple that hosts an open bookshelf, at home, as well as in
their office -- anyone is welcome to come by and look at the books and pick
whatever they like; the only rule being that the book shouldn't come back,
it has to be passed on to someone else who again will pass it on.

* A computer programmer who has built up a collection of poetry from
spiritual traditions across the world -- poetry that he considers a
spontaneous, beautiful gift in his life, and is happy to share with readers
in faraway places through the daily mails he sends out

* A college student who looks out for people with bare feet as he walks
around his city, and buys footwear for those who have none

I invite you to share stories of people you've come across, and urge you to
look around for more. The idea is to compile these stories in the form of an
e-book that would be freely shared as a gift.

If you have a story, but do not have the time to write it, one can find
volunteers to take care of that.

If you are good at writing, but do not have a story in mind, you can
volunteer to help with interviewing, writing, editing and proofreading.

If you are into graphic design, you can help with layouts and illustrations.

If you are a photographer, you can help with pictures.

There might be several other ways in which you can share your gifts to help
this project.

So do get in touch: whatsyourgiftproject at gmail.com

And yes, please circulate this mail among your friends.

PS: Many thanks to my friend Vinod, whose work and words inspired this
project!