[Reader-list] Shahidul Alam detained by Indian Border Security Force

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Sun Jun 21 03:22:53 IST 2009

No, I do not think we are in agreement at all. The example of Poland
which I gave demonstrates how arbitrary the principles of exclusion
are and have been historically. There is nothing 'necessary' about
the decisions taken at the Polish border. If these decisions can be
reversed one way or another, so easily, it proves that there is
nothing inherently necessary to them at all. They are contingent. The
whole idea of the nation state is contingent on the historical
circumstances that have developed since the treaty of Westphalia
outlined the beginnings of the modern state system. Being contingent,
they are subject to fundamental change. Today, at a time when nothing
from the fluctuations of the financial system to the question of
climate change can be addressed at national levels, I find it odd
that some of us can still cling on to the fetish of borders and
nation states as if they were 'necessary'.

I find that clinging 'idealistic'. it seems to fly in the face of the
actual objective structural realities of the contemporary world.

As for your conditions, each one of them can be unpicked.

There are greater if not more 'security threats' from the citizens of
a given nation state to itself, than there are from the citizens of
other states. If that is so, how far inwards should the protocols of
the 'border' and its exclusionary principles be drawn?

Reciprocity is not necessarily the basis for international relations,
as demonstrated by the simple case of the utterly un-reciprocal
relationships that obtain at the US Mexico border.

Diplomatic relationships have barely anything to do with the
situation at border controls. India has full fledged diplomatic
relationships with Pakistan and Bangladesh, and yet, this does not
influence the humiliations that Indians, Pakistanis and Bangladeshis
have to face in the hands of each other's border authorities.

India has border disputes with China, Pakistan and with Bangladesh,
and yet, refugees from Chinese controlled TIbet have had an easier
time getting into and staying in India than have people from say,
Bangladesh. So clearly, border disputes are not the crucial
determining factor.

Lets face it. The reason why people do not like having to deal with
Bangladeshis has much more to do with prejudice than it has to do
with realpolitik.

regards

Shuddha

As far as the principles outlined by you are concerned -
On 21-Jun-09, at 3:09 AM, Rahul Asthana wrote:

> 1. So Shuddha, I believe that we are in agreement that Artificial,
> ephemeral, man-made borders are necessary.
>
> 2.Now I think your issue is with the selective immigration policies
> of nations.These immigration policies may be based on the following
> reasons
> a)reciprocation or bi-lateral cooperation
> b)perceived security threat by the citizens of a particular nation
> c)Diplomatic relations between two nations
> d) Border disputes between two nations etc.
> I do not claim this to be a comprehensive list.
> Does this answer your question?
>
> Thanks
> Rahul

Shuddhabrata Sengupta