[Reader-list] CMZ Notification

T Peter peter.ksmtf at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 16:06:51 IST 2009

Dear Friends,

The Kerala Swatantra Matsya Thozhilali Federation (Kerala Independent
Fishworkers Federation) would like to draw your attention to certain
alarming developments with respect to coastal policy reforms. We urge you to
join us in immediately resistance.

As you might be aware, the ten-month period that the Ministry of Environment
and Forests (MoEF) had given itself to vet public comments received on the
Draft Coastal Management Zone (CMZ) 2008 Notification comes to an end in
June. This Draft, based on the recommendations of the much-criticized
Swaminathan Committee Report, was an attempt to dismantle existing coastal
regulation and open up coastal regions for fast-paced, destructive economic
development. It was opposed not only by coastal communities, environmental
groups, women’s organizations, trade unions, NGOs but also by several
coastal state governments. The most recent caution against introducing such
a coastal management regime came in March 2009 from a high-powered
Parliamentary Standing Committee.

In the face of such opposition, the MoEF appears to be resorting to
underhand and devious methods to launch the CMZ. The Minister, Jairam Ramesh
has announced that on July 16 a fresh ‘hybrid’ rule will be issued that will
combine existing rules with the recommendations of the Swaminathan Committee
Report. This is nothing but the CMZ in the guise of existing rules, that is
to say, illicit new wine in an old bottle!

We must stand united in opposing this appalling move of the MoEF. A
statement to this effect is given below which we urge you to endorse. Please
write back to us with your endorsement and also do gather and send us
endorsements from other organizations.

The email address for responding is given below.

In solidarity,

T.Peter,

President,

Kerala Swatantra Matsya Thozhilali Federation (KSMTF)

Peter.ksmtf at gmail.com<http://202.146.198.11/cgi-bin/sqwebmail/login/ksmtf%40keralafishworkers.org/5D9FAD8268C7C58AD67E1716CEC2E0AA/1245122931?folder=INBOX&form=newmsg&to=Peter.ksmtf@gmail.com>,
mobile:09447429243

www.keralafishworkers.org<http://202.146.198.11/cgi-bin/sqwebmail?timestamp=1245124896&md5=iOtYsdt7DBIw%2B9lbge3G2Q%3D%3D&redirect=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.keralafishworkers.org%2F>,
www.alakal.net<http://202.146.198.11/cgi-bin/sqwebmail?timestamp=1245124896&md5=iOtYsdt7DBIw%2B9lbge3G2Q%3D%3D&redirect=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.alakal.net%2F>