[Reader-list] [Announcements] Performance 'Palestine' : 4th of March: MF Hussain ART Gallery

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Wed Mar 4 19:36:34 IST 2009

Dear Aditya Raj Kaul,

There are a lot of people, not only in Jamia, not only in JNU, not
only in Delhi, but all over the world who support the right of the
people of Palestine to be rid of the conditions imposed on them by
successive governments in the State of Israel. Many people in Israel,
including Israeli citizens, also support the right of people in
Palestine to live without the harrassment, indignity and suffering
caused to them by the policies of the State of Israel. I would urge
you not to make such glib generalizations about who supports whom and
where. Fortunately, we do not as yet live in a world where
solidarities are parcelled out according to the assumptions that can
be made at the drop of a hat about the provenances of the people who
express them

And, it would be perfectly reasonable for people anywhere in the
world, be they in or from Delhi or Sri Nagar to express their
solidarity with the people of Palestine, just as it would be
perfectly reasonable for people anywhere in the world, be they in or
from Tel Aviv, Haifa, Kiryat Shimona or Ramallah, Behtlehem or Nablus
or Delhi or Bombay or Calcutta to express their solidarities with the
people of Kashmir.

Finally, I can't quite understand how you can keep politics and art
separate? Is there an 'a-political' expression of art? Have you ever
come across such art? Can you give any examples of 'a-political' art?

best,

Shuddha