[Reader-list] Another cause, not pink but blood red...

Rakesh Iyer rakesh.rnbdj at gmail.com
Sat Mar 14 20:42:35 IST 2009

Dear Swathi Ji (and all)

I don't demean the fact that struggles are being conducted for issues like
Priyadarshini Mattoo and Jessica Lall cases. However, the larger issue is
the one of sensationalism being practiced for some issues on one hand, and
that of complete neglect in reporting on the other. Infact, not only is
there a lack of neglect in such cases, but also a total lack of sympathy
being followed in those. So, if the impression is that I personally am
demeaning those fights, then I am not doing so. And as a society, certainly
we shouldn't do such things, so I am in favor of what Swathi has said.

Also, I think for addressing any issue, one has to go to the root cause
before solving it. In our case, the fact that certain issues are highlighted
and others are not is somewhere related to class affiliations of the media
and the people affected. Hence, we have to look at this as a major challenge
in the way we organize our fights for justice in many cases in India. And
this certainly not demeans fights for justice in upper middle classes, but
also means we should equally lend our hand to those cases of justice, where
the poor and deprived are involved.

Regards

Rakesh