[Reader-list] FW: Hindu families in Pakistan feel scared, India grants Visa

Taha Mehmood 2tahamehmood at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 18 09:03:09 IST 2009

Dear Taraprakash

Please talk me through this-

> Your justification about how it matters for a public discussion whether an
> individual will keep holding the same opinions or he/she will change did not
> convince me. But you don't need to do it again. I need not get convinced.

What is it that you intend to imply by above statements? Is it that when one
is discussing something on a public list then any such discussion is without
any sense of conviction or belief? Or is it that you are in a habit of
arguing for argument's sake? Say one thing because it fits in your scheme of
things and then say completely opposite things later because it suits your
argument in so thread, like you did when exchanging posts about 'identity'?
To refresh your memory, I was given an impression that you believe that
there exists a relationship between signifier and signified when it comes to
identity and then during a later discussion you seem to state with as much
confidence that the relationship between signifier and signified is
completely arbitrary? I think like any other rational, earnest person I had
difficulty in understanding what seemed to me like a janus faced repartee.

In above statement too, you seem to suggest that it is okay for one to twist
ones interpretation and belief in any which's way possible then you seem to
stick to one position by saying,' I need not get convinced'? As you can
clearly see this is confusing. So could you please arrange your thoughts
again on this most pertinent matter and talk me through because I beleive it
is necessary for me to know the rules of engagement with you?

Warm regards

Taha