[Reader-list] Fw: Khakis, Public ,& Overwork.

subhrodip sengupta sub_sengupta at yahoo.co.in
Sun Mar 22 12:49:44 IST 2009

As my title suggests, this is connected to Para-millitary forces. And it is concerning Delhi, India's capital territory. People in Uniform have always been reverred, for reasons quite faimiliar for many of us, so they stand out of the crowd. This time again, loopholes appeared and a blot would have been put once again on the khaki, if I did not intervene. Friends, I travell on a 1 hr metro route from Rajiv Chowk to Dwarka. Central Industrial Security forces whose heavily-armed security personnel guard the metro-property and sometimes scare away peace-lovers like me, use this metro for transportaion as well as for vigilance, tough personnel in uniform are seemingly bound by some strict codes. Who cares? Common man views this unnecessary violence as infringent on his privacy and sometimes even dignity, but disciplined by rules of city life and high standards of personal space that members of public give to one another or basically, this socio-economic
 regime, the fact that he cannot afford a car-drive makes him reconcile of his powerless state, re-inforced by the fact that given means-ends tsatus quo, he'd better concentrate on his job and treat transit as transit(re-inforced by recent news and heavy displays of arms and commando tactics at roadside, too)! Also,I'd like to add to this seemeingly loose-formed serntences which I add as a background, that as regards seats only a few care for how and where seats are reserved, and here do I salute them for beings bearers for humanity, as for enforecement of these codec, apart from useless and irritating cackaphony which jamms our radio-devices, there's none, a very conscious move by metro officials again, to appease bulls of the society.

Karol Bagh, 2pm, three Security personnel Board the coach I am in. Two of them run and occupy a seat just beside a woman, asking others to adjust. This lady now shovelled by security guards now doesn't know what to do. may be under normal circumstances, she'd have objected for very understandable reasons, well evidence was I could make that out from her expression, so would have a few of her co-passengers. Now it happens so that only two of us, remotely sitiuated from her actually assess the intent and state of events going on. There are other security personnel too, but none of them actually understand whats going on.  Clearly these people do not seem to care and the civilians who understand are under a spel of fear, embarrassed and confused, do not know what to do. A colleague come to these and while standing in such a manner that is infringing into this sole lady, caught in between making faces, but who'd listen, who after a day's hard work wants to
 be beaten up? Not every body, sadly not one except me. From this end with a 35+ kg bag on my shoulder I slowly tear open the crowd and approach these guys and urge standing one out. By this time two de-board the train. Now who remains is a kannad guy who immidiately falls asleep. Well this is not a story of my bravery or anti-national else I'd have narrated about drunk guys, misbehaving and moleting a woman, shovvling her and making her feel uncomfortable. No, definitely that's not a story, else you'd have read that in the newspaer 'Guy held up for Scuffle up with Seciurity men','inabbriated guy riots in metro', or 'terrorist shot dead, critically injured 4 men before dying'! Well I kept on stnding there with myself ready for a scuffle once the lady asks for help. By nature of training, most of these men are machoists, and their training towards gender sensitisation is Nil. I've seen many commandos letching 'westren dressed women' I cant read their
 minds and tell U if they think them to be sluts or not! Anyways, I find them much better and easier to quiten since they are armed under discipline (I may run into trouble anytime, but cant help it!)and as for this guy slept off and started brushing  against the woman I do not know whether he was taking advantage of the trains vibrations, no further wankh laait, I intervene, now this lady's relieved and smiling, he says aankh lag gaya tha, I say thats Not fine! He knows he's into some trouble, he awakens. I sniff him to test for alcohol, but since I do not find much reason from his eyes or smell or otherwise, I do not take my action plan, which I'd list for comments, below. He tries and tries on to explain. I'd make him appologise again to the lady, though I sense he's a typical chauvinist how can he lean against a girl? he explains and I politely disagree admist a conversation pulls up! I knew that was the case for in any case my training tells me
 to transend for reality beyond the Uniform. I recon hes well above 40's and has a kid of my age, which I knew that from moment 1, but isn't the harrasment part, whats, rather shocking, nobody 'dares?' Anyways I do not know what I did to dare, because all I was doing was expressing my privacy.  Now the metro empties and even the lady knows why I didnt act earlier, as she did not see me coming to her aid before, it wasnt a first time dillema, only understanding needs of a tired senior man (behind the Uniform), not sexual needs off course! This man was friendly but anything could have happenned. Poor lady! He style at first fitted my general image arrogant not ready to leave his stand, but he was rather friendly and a jolly fellow, rare among all men, as was a possibility and I've no offences against this honest man, (what I find alarmed is about the feeling of ignorance of social envoirnment and submissiveness and vulnerability that was brewing on
 part of both) i thought he seemed talking about  sharm and haya and purdah of culture, not in delhi to me. He swears, in his personal experirence, he hasn't seen any discipline in delhi, nor much sound administration, provoked I take up the bangalore, not mangalore issue.  Hea long  tells me about his standing duty and extra long hours that prevails top-bottom on the ground level.  He has to awake at 3 in morning and sleep at 11:00. It amuses him when he discovers that I go to sleep when he awakens and still work early in the morning, still have senses not to be a 'bull' and do ensure rights of others ---- people who cant brush their bodies against others, people who do not posess judo-karate skills, get seat if they need it and do not feel disadvqantaged and still I do not find offence in him for breaking code of conduct, I could have urged him to do that if that would benefit me,but only wish he was a litlle more aware of not crushing
 others on the way or acting indecently.  I come to know aboout he used to play tabla well and now his duty and family time crushes him out. Well friend he's not the only one, many CISF personnel have previously shown their dislike for this work and complained of ling hours of standing, no recreational support etc. I am afraid as I remember the frequent CRPF suicidal outbursts. Stricter and vigillant norms have to be enforced, before that it needs to be checd with a humane touch. Culture and social awareness and training with frequent off the job interaction with public, a model implemented by kolkatta police, unfortunately unsuccesful due to high proved corruptedness. Overwork makes you sleep and drink and then the jerking of the train causes the mischief. As a epilogue, I wouldnt be amused if this educated middle-class mob would have beaten up this man after he appologised, it's jackal instinct!Everyday I helplessly watch them, not bound by any code
 of discipline on there urge to prove they are bulls, to capture seats for themselves, be it sit on reserved for women, and ladies do not need to sit-- pressing for equality,they look fit enough to stand! Ther's no other way in which these men can get their way, it's we the civilian people who should raise a voice for them(rather than raising a toast at functions) so that good social sense prevails!

(Nb: what to do:
1> check out if drunk. Drunk misbehaving always gives you benefit of doubt as against his carreer record.
2> Call them be polite but firm, so that they know you are intelligent
3> Sense trouble, do not brush up against people armed by your sweat and blood(taxes?),
4> Read the name badge,Call the operator, tell others,as well as raise an alarm and at next station, refuse to deboard unless rthe security in charge is over the wireless. Remember to lodge and get a copy of complaint to ensure action and avoid repurcations. No need to be upset.
5> Do not get nasty unless the other is. Violence begets violence(somethings that pretending bi-gots wouldn't ever understand),There's no chuvinism in unnecessary violence, remember you could be in their position someday too, unwell and surrounded by overbearing crowd!
6> Every time you are on an overcrowded metro thats slow file an well at least an e-complaints, I guess white gloved guards are not there to ensure smooth functioning of doors! Surely we can prvent delhi-metro from being a drama based on commonweath games).