[Reader-list] Fwd: Job description - Program Director, Point of View

Shilpa Phadke phadkeshilpa at gmail.com
Sun Mar 22 14:30:46 IST 2009

 Please email this widely across all your networks. This is a key position -
we welcome applications from all those who fit the bill. Or names of
potential candidates; we can follow up.

Bishakha

*Program Director, Point of View*

*Application Deadline: 5 April 2009*

*Application Requirements: CV and cover letter; details below.*

*About Us *www.pointofview.org

Point of View is a Mumbai-based non-profit organization that brings the
points of view of women into the public domain through media, art and
culture.  We work across five program areas:

*·          **FIGHTING FOR HEADSPACE
Placing the broad concept of gender in the public domain*

* *

·          *PUSHING THE BOUNDARIES*

*Putting forward the realities of women in sex work and prostitution in
their own voices*

* *

·          *SPEAKING IN TONGUES
*

*Highlighting marginalized realities: HIV, sexuality, mental health**,
migration, body image*

* *

·          *DEFENDING OUR BODIES
*

*Enabling women to speak out about and prevent domestic violence*

* *

·          *CHANGING THE LENS*

*Building the art and media capacities of grassroots women***

* *

All our work is carried out in collaboration with grassroots NGOs and blends
women’s rights, gender and sexuality *content* with media, art and culture *
forms* and platforms. These include photography, video, theatre, text, film
festivals, new media, interactive games etc. We are a lean organization with
a staff of less than nine. Our work style is not rooted in a 9 to 5 job
ethic, but in a professional culture that offers flexibility and demands
delivery and accountability.

*New Phase*

As we enter our 12th year, Point of View is actively looking for a Program
Director who will:

   - Direct the implementation of our ongoing programs and projects
   - Envision, shape and lead the program portfolio of POV 2.0, the
   organization in its second decade

*Job Description*

The Program Director would primarily be responsible for:

   - Project and program conceptualization, design and implementation

This would also include elements of financial management, advocacy and
communications, administration, staff management, fundraising and donor
relationships.

The Program Director would immediately take charge of executing Point of
View’s initiative *Act Against Domestic Violence: The Law Is On Your
Side. *This
initiative aims to provide user-friendly information about the recent
Protection of Women From Domestic Violence Act (PWDVA) to multiple
constituencies in the city of Mumbai over the next 18 months – and enable
them to report, take action against, and prevent domestic violence. The
initiative is part of our *Defending Our Bodies *program, which* **enables
women to speak out about and prevent domestic violence.*

* *

*Side by side, the Program Director would manage all our other programs –
and conceptualize, design and pitch new initiatives to donors as part of the
transition to POV 2.0, or Point of View in its second decade.** *We see POV
2.0 as a deft, creative, and strategic amalgam of old and new priorities,
programs and media. **

* *
*The Ideal Candidate*

A woman who is:

Ambitious

Creative

Innovative

A Self-starter

Effective

*Ten Essential Candidate Skills*

The Program Director would be a visionary self-starter with:

   1. Strong program and project management skills and experience of more
   than five years, including financial management skills
   2. Creative approaches to outreach and a deep belief in the value of
   reaching beyond the circles of the converted
   3. Exceptional inter-personal skills that translate into an ability to
   straddle multiple worlds and work successfully with extremely diverse
   constituencies
   4. Rigorous attention to detail, quality and impact in program
   conceptualization, design, execution and implementation, in written
   communications, and in financial management
   5. Innovative ideas, and immense energy to run programs through their
   life cycle - from funding to conceptualizing and implementing them
   6. Excellent writing, editing and verbal communications skills, including
   the ability to communicate complex ideas in accessible, jargon-free English
   7. Sound understandings of media, art and culture forms, including mass
   media, new media and alternative media
   8. State-of-the art knowledge of women’s rights in India, including
   gender and sexuality
   9. High multi-tasking abilities to simultaneously manage multiple tasks,
   functions, projects, programs and constituencies
   10. Solid team working skills including the abilities to delegate and
   work cooperatively with people at various levels of responsibilities, and
   direct, mentor and supervise staff.

*Job Location*

Mumbai

*Remuneration*

Competitive salaries within the non-profit sector, with flexi-time work
options**

*Reporting*

To Point of View’s Executive Director

* *