[Reader-list] reader-list Digest, Vol 68, Issue 62Freedom and right to express at what cost to society.?

Rakesh Iyer rakesh.rnbdj at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 18:09:44 IST 2009

Dear Venu ji

First of all you sent a message to me, though I see you intended it for the
group. Hence I put it up on the group.

Secondly, you have stated that human rights are inherent to an individual. I
personally have read Sen's argument on human rights (in the book Development
As Freedom). What I can't understand here, is his agency argument.

This means that for any right to be obtained by a person, there should be an
agency which should provide that person/individual with that right, and
should also care to see if that right is granted properly to that person or
not (in other words, it is not violated). In the case of any right, be it
human right or others, which is this agency which determines that these are
not violated?

If there is no nation-state (or state-nation like India), then which is the
agency which guarantees these rights? I have no objections at all with the
'universality' of human rights, but certainly I wish to know what agency is
going to enforce the implementation mechanism to secure these rights for a
normal individual? (Normal is someone who is not in a position of power-play
in conventional terms).

Regards

Rakesh