[Reader-list] SC panel raps UGC, MCI for poor anti-ragging measures

Aditya Raj Kaul kauladityaraj at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 18:42:12 IST 2009

SC panel raps UGC, MCI for poor anti-ragging measures

PTI

New Delhi, Mar 25 : Unhappy over poor implementation of its recommendations,
a Supreme Court-appointed anti-ragging panel today pulled up UGC, MCI and
other regulatory bodies and favoured the idea of starting a national call
centre for providing assistance to students.

The committee headed by former CBI Chief R K Raghavan met here today and
asked the regulatory bodies to take punitive action against errant
institutions.

"We have not seen regulatory bodies taking punitive action against
institutions. We told them that we want to see punitive action against
institutions which have not implemented the anti-ragging provisions,"
Raghavan told PTI after the meeting.

The punitive actions could include curtailing grants to the institutes and
withdrawing their recognition. The Supreme Court has also said that
regulatory bodies could withdraw grants to institutes for not taking
anti-ragging measures.

Rajendra Kachru, father of medical student Aman Kachru who was allegedly
died due to ragging in Himachal Pradesh earlier this month, attended the
meeting and suggested starting a national call centre for providing
assistance to students who face ragging.

"The suggestion is feasible. We are considering it and follow up action
would be taken. Detailed modalities will be worked out," Raghavan said. More