[Reader-list] The decline of the 'encounter death'

Taha Mehmood 2tahamehmood at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 30 19:51:32 IST 2009

Dear Bipin

Thank you for your mail.

Had it been just a question of common sense then perhaps your argument would
have reflected the impunity with which police acts on a day to day basis.
However it appears as if there are different kinds of common sense. I would
like to think of a common sensical remark by Engles in this regard, 'The
lowest police officer of the civilized state has more "authority" than all
the organs of gentile society put together'. So perhaps what we see in
encounter killings and custodial deaths is nothing but benevolence of our
police. And I do hope that such love and care for Bharat Mata is must be
displayed with more vigour.

And you are perhaps not entirely wrong in stating that for 'each and every'
assertion we must not rely on a study or some proof. India after all is a
free country and it must not shame us to state what we believe in, more so
if our imagination propels us to acknowledge the existence of a gentle and
prompt police force. Who kill only four people a day but that too because
they are stressed and the people who die are stressed because of the lacuna
of the state judiciary.

Bipin Saheb...What we have indeed is an extraordinary brave bunch of people
in police who are willing to lay down not only their own lives but also take
others with them when it comes to rendering a praise worthy service to the
nation.

Regards

Taha