[Reader-list] The Islamic Flag of Indian Muslims

anupam chakravartty c.anupam at gmail.com
Tue May 5 18:38:41 IST 2009

Dear Kshmendra,

I am glad you think aloud. However, I think you did not understand what I
was trying to state and what I was denying. And let me be very direct here,
that when I am writing something about a place, I have been there and felt
what the place is and then probably I would have written something. Now you
have just highlighted the fact I deny the flags used in Udalguri and Barpeta
districts of Assam during the large scale rioting of the Bodo and Muslim
were Pakistani flag, which you say is my confusion. On the contrary, I feel
that the confused people were the TV news channels because it was shot by
one of the local reporters whose understanding of Muslim is essentially a
Pakistani and therefore, it must be seen in suspicion. Let me reiterate that
these flags were hoisted in the relief camps so that if there is a victim
from the Muslim community, the person can come directly to the camp. It’s
true that such camps were never seen in Assam but it signifies the
polarisation in the state, where Muslims and Hindus co-existed till 1984
Nellie massacre. Even then, it was just Nagaon or parts of lower Assam,
which were occasionally communally tense while other parts never had a
ghetto like thing that happened in other parts of India. There are several
dargahs in the state, where muslims and hindus pray together. There is Hajo,
a place situated west of Guwahati where Powa Makka (quarter of Mecca)
revered by Muslims, Hindus and Buddhists for ages. It is said that if you
have gone to Powa Makka, you need not go for Haj.

Such polarities gain prominence only during the times of strife, when mere
flags are seen major symbols. There was a point of time, I remember, when
drawing a rising sun was banned because it signified ULFA flag. But these
are again apocryphal tales.

Thanks for thinking aloud again,

Anupam