[Reader-list] The Islamic Flag of Indian Muslims

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Wed May 6 19:00:33 IST 2009

I, for one, am grateful that several hundreds of thousands amongst
our forefathers and foremothers (in all cultures and traditons
available to us) broke the chains of servitude that tied them to ways
of life that denied them a basic human dignity. Our lives would have
been much poorer had it not been for their decisions to walk away
from the faiths that they were born into, and embrace other faiths,
or embrace a space of radical doubt.

Probably, this break, which Chanchal Malviya, reads as a 'betrayal of
Hinduism' (though many of them were not what we recognize as Hindus
today) is what caused a great deal of necessary introspection to
occur amongst the practitioners of the Bhakti traditions in medieval
South Asia. Personally, I think it saved Hinduism, by providing a
catalyst for self-critical reflection. Even a Vivekananda, (who by
the way was an open admirer of the histroy and legacy of Islam in the
south asian subcontinent) would not have been who he was, but for
this long chain of transmission of what Shrimant Malviya dismisses as
betrayal.

I find several of Shrimant Malviya's other assertions laughable,
particularly his suggestion that child marriage in Hindu traditions,
as imposed by Brahmins, is in fact a response to what he
(disgustingly) calls 'Islamic' rapers. Perhaps Shrimant Malviya would
like to consult his nearest available copy of the DharmaShastras, or
even a a reasonable commentary, to explain what the term "Pradanam
prak rtoh" -  an explicit legal-scriptural injunction, namely, that a
woman must be given away (in marriage) before she attains puberty
means. Or has he decided that the standard of what constitutes
'childhood' must be re-calibrated in Pre-Islamic South Asia to suit
an eternally flexible and opportunist criterion that Shrimant Malviya
and his cohorts will decide for us. If that is not the case, then
Shrimant Malviya is simply ignorant, (like most Hindutva-vadis are,
of the substantive content of the traditions that they glorify).

Perhaps he could begin to undo the damage he does  by learning
elementary Sanskrit, and paying more attention to the collected works
of Narendranath Dutt, also known as Vivekananda.

Namaskar

Shuddha