[Reader-list] The Islamic Flag of Indian Muslims

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Tue May 5 22:39:31 IST 2009

Dear All, Dear Jeebesh

I have found this discussion on the shape of flags, affiliations and
ideological commitments, fascinating. I have the same interest in
flags that the writer Vladimir Nabakov had in butterflies. i think
they are even more beautiful when they are lifeless.

Until not so long ago, the erstwhile Kingdom of Nepal was the only
'Hindu' state in the world. And yet, I have no recollection of
'Hindutva' enthusiasts in India being accused of being stooges of the
usually inebriated Nepali monarchy. I find this somewhat odd, and
incongruous.

But,  now that I come to think of it, the Nepali flag consists of two
near isoceles triangles. And the 'bhagwa dhvaj', or saffron flag, so
beloved of the bearers of the Hindutva ideal in India is usually also
flown as a single saffron isoceles triangle. Since such a great deal
is being made on this list about the correspondences between shapes
and colours, I thought I might add my own two bits on the surprising
similarity of the 'isoceles' triangle shape, as seen compared between
the Royal Nepali flag and the Hindutva flag.

Now, though I am fascinated by flags, unfortunately, patrtiotism (or
the emotions that most flags conjure) is beyond my modest
intellectual reach. But I am sure that there are people on this list
who are, proud patriots, and who wear their Indian nationalism
(secular or otherwise) prominently on their sleeve.

And, since flags, their shape, size, colour, geometry etc. matter a
great deal to patriots (they do not, to me, sneaky low-down anarchist
that I am, but I have heard that patriots are prepared to die for
these precious fragments of textile) then, to those that they do
matter, perhaps there would be no doubt (as borne out by the form of
flags) the Hindutva Held Constituency of this list could be best
described as the covert flag bearers of the (hopefully) erstwhile
Royalist Nepali agenda in Indian politics.

I say this only because it makes as much sense to say this as it does
to read deep meanings into the flags sometime flown in some Muslim
neighbourhoods in different parts of India. No more, no less.

On a different note altogether, It is my fervent hope that the
Hindutva Held constituency in India will follow the example set by
its mentors, the Royal House of Nepal, and take the honourable path
of auto-destruction, aided, like the late His Highness the Prince
Dipendra, by means of intoxication and a choice selection of
automatic weapons.

I wait for that day, eagerly, so that the safforn flag of Hindutva,
lifeless and beautiful in death, would join my 'butterflag'
collection of extinct standards.

best

Shuddha