[Reader-list] would you do this favour for the Delhi state also.?

Rakesh Iyer rakesh.rnbdj at gmail.com
Thu May 7 13:34:13 IST 2009

Dear Rajen jee

Let me point out certain things.

It is certainly true that central elections and panchayat elections do
hamper a state govt from its functioning, but this is there for all
governments. Hence, one should analyze performance of Gujarat in this
respect. And it's not as for half of the tenure of the govt, it is not
able to do anything because of these model code of conducts. At best,
it could be around 8-9 months, or even a year maximum.

Secondly, this issue you have raised is something I am doubtful about.
Hence, I would like the other members of this forum to tell me whether
state govts. actually have money for themselves through their own
finance department, or banks, or they get all their budget from the
central govt. The fact of the matter however is that the Gujarat govt
has misused its funds in many issues and in some cases has not
utilized them properly. Is not that a failure of the govt. there? And
are these just trivial issues, and the Mandir nirman a bigger issue
than this?

I dont think so. These issues are connected to livelihood,
particularly the Sujalam Sufalam scheme which is related to water
supply. The Mandir nirman at Ayodhya will not provide the poor with
food three times a day throughout their lives.

Thirdly, Modi has himself used CAG data to castigate the Congress
during Lok Sabha campaigning. The CAG was used in the 2004 elections
by the Congress regarding the expenses of the India Shining Campaign.
I accept many other institutions have been undermined, but on what
basis are you putting forth the claim that the CAG is useless when it
makes such points public? What reason would CAG have if the state govt
makes schemes for supplying water for those villages which already do
get water through other sources?

Therefore, my contention is that Modi as the head of this govt, is
someone who is certainly not strong or great. He is just like the
other CM's we have had, except that in his case, he is lucky that
Gujarat doesn't have institutionalized corruption unlike say Bihar,
which is why entrepreneurs invest again and again in Gujarat. And in
Modi, they have found someone who is like Bush, overcoming all
bureaucratic hassles and laws and regulations to get things done. That
is what entrepreneurs like, that is what they want. So the Tatas and
the Ambanis feel he should be the PM.

But that is not what governance requires or the Constitution says.

Regards

Rakesh