[Reader-list] A DESIRE TO RELIVE - Jamia student shares his experience of forced exodus from Kashmir

Aditya Raj Kaul kauladityaraj at gmail.com
Sat May 9 14:42:20 IST 2009

A DESIRE TO RELIVE<http://kashmiris-in-exile.blogspot.com/2009/05/desire-to-relive.html>

*Ranish Hangloo
Childhood Blues continue to haunt*

*A journalism student of Jamia AJK MCRC, recollects the time of gory forced
exodus from his homeland - Kashmir.*

**

*Link - http://kashmiris-in-exile.blogspot.com/2009/05/desire-to-relive.html
*
**

*January 1990*, I had just started to crawl when communal forces broke
legend long relations and compelled one of the oldest civilized communities
to leave the saffron valley.

Along with my parents, I traveled 350 kilometers in a fiat car from south
Kashmir to city of temples, Jammu. A deafening silence kept filling each
passing kilometer. Moving towards south of Jawahar tunnel, nature started
adjusting its color for an undesirable change. Slowly the chinars turned
into pines and then finally eucalyptus. Mercury started expanding. As soon
as we reached Hari palace, I woke up in my mothers lap saying “mummy tresh”
(Mother I am thirsty, give me water).

Months passed on and my growing steps saw the lines stretch on my father’s
forehead. Finances started bothering us on each day of the calendar.
Everyone around was searching for any possible keyholes of survival. I
remember, each morning some or the other fellow being used to come to the
door shouting- ‘paksa relief commisionery’ (‘let’s go to Relief
commissioner’s office’). No one realized that this relief commisionary would
become a parliament for minority section of Kashmir.

*read the complete write up at -
http://kashmiris-in-exile.blogspot.com/2009/05/desire-to-relive.html*

Comments are welcome on the blog!

thanks