[Reader-list] Happy Sunday :) Library and Garbage bins

Monica Narula monica at sarai.net
Sun May 10 16:51:57 IST 2009

Talking of libraries and books, here is an interesting link

http://strangemaps.wordpress.com/2009/04/08/373-a-map-of-the-land-of-books/

You can see a picture of a map of the land of books :-)

and below is the description from that page.

best
This map by German illustrator Alphons Woelfle (1938) shows the extent
and the divisions of Bücherland (the Land of Books). The Land consists
of about half a dozen distinct territories, most of which are
explicitly named: Leserrepublik (Reader’s Republic), Vereinigte
Buchhandelsstaaten (United States of Booksellers), Recensentia (a
realm for Reviewers), Makulaturia (Waste Paper Land), and Poesia
(Poetry). The capital of the US of B is the city of Officina (Latin
for workshop, and the origin of our ‘office’; the name seems
remarkably unremarkable. Possibly there is an old reference or a
German word-joke here we’re not getting).

Plotting out imagined places on a map as if they were “real” countries
is a favourite trope in curious cartography. The artificial equation
of place and meaning allows for double-entendres and other humorous
leaps of the imagination on which this allegorical form of cartography
thrives. As a sub-genre of cartography, it has been around since at
least La carte de tendre, an 18th-century French map of love’s
topography (discussed in entry #245 of this blog). Other examples
previously discussed include a Map on Temperance (#258) or a German
map of the Empire of Love (#59).

This map was possibly commissioned by the Heimeran Verlag (publishing
house) of Munich, a frequent employer of Mr Woelfle’s artisanship –
although no information could be found relating to the specific
circumstances of this map. One can only presume that it illustrated a
book about books, or more precisely, a book about publishing. The look
and feel of the map is definitely older than its mid-20th-century age;
in a positive case of antiquarianism (i.e. lending something
respectability by increasing its age), it has been made to resemble
the maps of earlier times (17th, 18th century, I’d say).

Monica Narula
Raqs Media Collective
Sarai-CSDS
www.raqsmediacollective.net