[Reader-list] Happy Sunday :) Library and Garbage bins

Shveta shveta at sarai.net
Sun May 10 23:46:20 IST 2009

dear All,

Wanted to share a visit to a small library last year, in Dakshinpuri, a
resettlement colony in South Delhi. Dakshinpuri emerged in the mid-70s,
when people evicted from squatter settlements/slums all over Delhi
during the Emergency were given 22.5 sq m plots of land and settled here
in large numbers.

In the late-70s, the municipality had built a structure which housed a
TV centre, a one room library and a dispensary here. The TV centre fell
into disuse in the mid-80s, the dispensary moved away to another site.
The library continues. It's a small room, about 24 sq m, with a high
ceiling. It has a wooden table for the librarian, and perpendicular to
it are two long reading tables. Six chairs. Dark coloured metal
shelf-almirahs are lined along three walls.

I picked up an english translation of Vinod Kumar Shukl's 'Deewar Mein
Khirki Rehti Thi' (There was a window in the wall). It had not been
issued ever.

The man in-charge was in his mid-30s, and extremely generous and
comfortable with visitors. He had worked in a braille library earlier,
and also in the big Delhi Public Library in Old Delhi. There was one
reader in the library, man about 45 years, who has been coming to the
library regularly for the last 2 years, and spends most of his time
reading the newspapers.

My friend who'd led me to the library, Rakesh, remembers the library
from his childhood. He used to watch screenings on the huge screen in
the TV centre in the evenings, and fondly remembers the earlier, old
librarian popularly called Netaji in the neighbourhood. According to
Rakesh, Netaji was a solitary man, but would visit the houses of people
who happened to not have returned the library books on time. Once, a
story goes, the father of the firl who had issued a book and forgotten
to return it, had exclaimed to Netaji, "You should have come before she
got married! Now she's taken the book with her." Many such stories are
associated with Netaji and the library.

The present librarian said the library sometimes receives gifts of books
from people, but this is usually not encouraged. The accession policy of
the library is centralised, with the head office in Sarojini Nagar as
the sole authority that takes decisions on this.

A young girl returned a novel in Hindi and issued a cookery book. An
adolescent boy issues 'Phoolon Wali Raat' (The night of the flowers) on
his father's card. Saraswati, 34-years-old is yet to return a book on
Primary Teachers' Entrance Exam. Arun Kumar, 17 years, issued 'Career
Counseling' a few days ago. Abhishek, 15 years, has issued 'Shiva
Mahapurana' (Tales of Lord Shiva) and Manoj Kumar, 23 years, 'Tales of
Buddha'. Saurabh, 12 years, has taken the book 'India and Its
International Relations'. Gaurav, 14, has 'Computer Science' and Vinod,
18, 'Gems from the caves of Orissa'. 'Best of Tenali Rama' has been
issed to Surya Karan, 18-years-old. Farhan, 13, has 'Tenali Rama'. Sonu
Suleman, 29 years, is reading about 'Internet and the Modern Library'.

Ashok Kumar, 14 years is reading 'Wonders of the Animal World'. Mohan,
16 years, 'The Dreams of Outer Space'. 'Discovery Channel Vigyan
Sangraha' (Discovery Channel's Science Compendium) has been issued by
Prem Pal, 10 years and Mahinder, 44 years. Hoshiyar Singh, 45 years, has
'Goodwill's Common Errors in English' and 'Improve Your English'. Govind
Lal Sharma, 38 years, has 'The McGraw Hill Handbook of English Grammar'.

What is Nikhil Bansal, 14 years, doing with 'Buddhimaan Bahu' (The
Intelligent Daughter-in-Law)?

Bhagchandra, 21 years, seems to be preparing for his Civil Service exams
on political science and international relations.

Many young men came to the library looking for employment news. They
spent a lot of time going through the details in the employment
newspapers. One came looking specifically for the employment news of a
particular date.

Piyush, 9 years and Megha, 10 years, seem to be brother and sister,
heavily into adventures. Amrita Khanna, 13 years, Roshni, 18 years,
Sushma, 16 years, Shubha, 20 years, Manju, 14 years, Renu, 24 years,
Meena, 18 years have issued books on environmental quiz, Chanakya Niti
(Chanakya's Counsel), english grammar, small scale industries, feature
writing. Tell Me Why.

Kailash Chand from neighbouring Pushpa Vihar has issued 'School of
Wizadry'.

There is a small, dimly lit room adjunct to the library. Books, arranged
in many piles, around 20 to a bundle, wait to be taken to the shredder.
They are all old books, their original covers and binding have come
apart. On top of one of the piles lies the book, 'Dilli Badal Gayi'
(Delhi has changed) by Shri Lakshman Narayan Sharma, Aviram Prakashan,
1996. It has not been issued once.

The most issued book in the library is 'Kartoon ki Kahani', Aruna
Prakshan, 1990.

warmly
shveta