[Reader-list] Dr. Binayak Sen - two years in jail

Sujata & Samantak kokopeli at gmail.com
Tue May 12 01:38:56 IST 2009

Dear All,

As you know, on 14 May 2009 Dr. Binayak Sen will complete two years in a
Raipur prison on charges of abetting Maoist activity in Chhattisgarh,
sedition, and waging war against the State.

This committed advocate of civil liberties has spent over three decades in
the service of some of the poorest and most neglected people in this country
and raised his voice time and again against atrocities in Chhattisgarh in
his attempt to uphold the values of our country’s Constitution and
democracy.

The imprisonment of Dr. Binayak Sen is symbolic of the monstrous injustice
and callous violation of democratic values by the state, and it ought to be
a matter of shame for all of us, as citizens of an allegedly democratic
nation, that a man such as him continues to  languish for two years without
his accusers having succeeded in producing a shred of evidence that
justifies keeping this 58-year-old paediatrician behind bars.

Several of us, teachers at Jadavpur University, feel that we ought to do
something – no matter how small – to express solidarity with Dr. Binayak
Sen, and his family, on the second anniversary of his incarceration.

Some have asked me, when I have written earlier about Dr. Sen’s case, “What
can we do?” Others have asked, “What good will come of whatever we do?” I
feel that gathering on 14 May will be our way not only of expressing
solidarity but also bearing witness and making it known that we do not in
any way condone Dr. Sen’s imprisonment.

So, do please come, on Thursday, 14 May 2009 from 4:00 pm onwards, in front
of Worldview Bookshop (opposite Milanda’s Canteen). Bring along some poetry
which you would like to recite, or a song to sing, bring along a flute or a
guitar. Make and bring a few posters, too. Ask your friends, family and
neighbours to come.

Forward this mail to as many people as you want.

Let us try to show that we in Kolkata still care.

We will also be collecting contributions for the legal expenses for Dr.
Sen’s case. Those wishing to contribute may bring along an AC Payee cheque
in the name of “Binayak Sen Support Fund, SBI a/c no. 301810 20786”. This is
a fund set up by the doctors of the CMC Vellore Alumni association, and they
will  send receipts by post if the address  provided with the cheque. We
will collect all the cheques and courier them together as a gesture of our
support. No cash will be accepted. Those who wish to send cheques after may
14th may also send them directly to Dr. P. Zachariah, c/o CMC Alumni
Association, Christian Medical College, Vellore 632 002.

Apologies, as always, for intruding upon your time.

Warmest regards,

Samantak

P.S. You may also have received a similar letter from Kavita (Professor
Kavita Panjabi) or Subha-di (Professor Subha Chakraborty Dasgupta) on this
same matter. If so, apologies doubly redoubled.