[Reader-list] Greetings from Yamuna Jiye Abhiyaan.

Jeebesh jeebesh at sarai.net
Tue May 12 15:53:20 IST 2009

To,

Sri Tejendra Khanna,
Hon'ble Lt Governor
DELHI

Respected Sir,

Greetings from Yamuna Jiye Abhiyaan.

Media reports inform that the DDA has decided much against the advice
of its own expert committee to bail out in form of a grant (against
333 additional flats) of Rs 700 crores to the builder who had
contracted  to construct the so called Games Village (Sir, you would
agree with us that it is such a misnomer and rather ironical to call
perhaps the most expensive residential property in the city a
"village") under the PPP model whereby the builder was obliged to
raise its own finances and was free to make money by selling 70% of
the flats.

Sir, allow us to lodge our strong protest both as a civil society
consortium of groups and people as well as tax payers on this
development as it is the public money (tax payer's) that the DDA is
risking on a project that is not only against the public interest as
it compromises the life line river of the city, but is at best an
uncertain property development with little future viability even in
economic terms, when in all likelihood a two bed room flat in and
around the city might soon be available to a consumer at a sub Rs 15
lakh price tag.

Sir, it is unbeleivable that a multinational company like the said
builder with properties spread all over the globe cannot find the
meagre (in global terms) sum to fulfill its contractual obligations.
Even if that were true, why should then the Indian tax payer foot a
bill which would then be encashed by the said defaulting company to
market the said construction as its property to attract more business.
So, at the very least since the majority investment, and majority
ownership and the associated risks of the flats would now be of the
DDA's and by implication would now of the Indian tax payer, the said
company must be asked to surrender its name and logo etc from the said
property and be debarred from show casing it as its creation to
attract business.

Our faith in the wisdom and a sense of justice of the Indian judiciary
remains firm and hence we remain hopeful that like the High Court of
Delhi, even the Supreme Court would find merit in our contention
currently sub judice before it and the impugned structure would be
found to be wrong and illegal and against public interest.

But, whatever be the final outcome of the case currently before the
SC, we are convinced that your honor would see merit in our appeal to
you to debar the said builder from claiming the said impugned
construction to be its show case property before the world.

With warm regards,

Manoj Misra
Convenor

--