[Reader-list] reader-list Digest, Vol 70, Issue 84

Rohan DSouza virtuallyme at gmail.com
Sun May 17 14:16:05 IST 2009

In the context of the point that Swathi brings up of civil society
activism paving the way for NREGA, RTI etc, it will also be
interesting to also look at the role of the National Advisory Council
(http://nac.nic.in/).

What was the role it played, vis-a-vis the common minimum program? How
does one look at such stated government-civil society interface
institutions in a democratic set up. Where does it get its legitimacy
from? Does/did it take up the role of a pressure group, interest
group? And also in hindsight what led to the demise of the council and
what led to people like Aruna Roy resigning in protest. How did the
various political parties/politicians within the UPA, as well as the
Prime Minister see this group? Did how it turn out conflict with their
expectation/view of it?

Rohan