[Reader-list] I saw her

Inder Salim indersalim at gmail.com
Sat Nov 7 00:08:13 IST 2009

--

I saw her. She was there, motionless, staring into my eyes. Her feet
were pinkish and body dark grey. I saw her on the edge of our bath
room’s small window. The space between iron grill and the broken glass
pane was enough for her to sit. She was someone who had the ‘coping
strategy’ innately embedded inside the system, so nothing to worry, no
reason to intervene.

 I guess, she  was on her two eggs , which she was unwilling to
reveal. The way she filled some air in her feathers confirmed that she
was on something more vital than her own life.  We had just one feet
distance in between which is more than enough for her to fly away in
normal circumstances. But right now she on her eggs, actually meant
that she is mentally prepared to face the situation whatever that be.

Two three days passed, and all the family members knew that a special
guest is on the window, and automatically felt the importance of
not-to-look too closely into her eyes, lest she might feel scared.
That was again our version.

She was too strong to feel threatened by our looks. Her investment on
the window  was absolute: her total being. Nothing was outside,
perhaps. She was a mother.

Today, when I returned back from work and the moment I glanced
carefully towards the bath room, I saw a pigeon, a dark one, similar
to the one who was on the eggs, but why she has moved on the grill far
from the eggs on the nest below. I wondered, but quickly saw the
headless pigeon on one side of the corner, with no eggs, but feathers
scattered all over.

The movement I went closer, the pigeon who was there mourning the
death of her friend, flew away, and left me sad.

A cat had indeed jumped on her during the day, and she had no choice….

love
inder salim