[Reader-list] UIDAI is not operational says GoI to Central Info Commission

Taha Mehmood 2tahamehmood at googlemail.com
Thu Nov 19 14:13:20 IST 2009

no wonder NN has been roaming around TV channels, giving sundry
interviews with an infectious smile, however, I think given the
possibility of the scale of money involved, it wouldn't be long before
UIDAI will have something concrete. In the meanwhile the Ministry of
Consumer Affairs have introduced two new numbers, called  DIN and CIN.

Director Identification Number is a database of personal information
on the Directors of Private Companies in India while Corporate
Identity Number is an attempt to uniquely identity companies. I was
immediately reminded of a Gujarat like scenario when in 2002 there
were reports of how rioters were able to correctly identify the names
of real owners behind seemingly innocuous names 'Sihv Shakti Autos'
and dilute them. I would imagine that with CIN and DIN in place,
thankfully we could look forward to a more decent manner of
bloodletting in the years to come.