[Reader-list] Contribute to Encyclopaedia Indica Kids: Culture and Ecology project -- A National Folklore Support Centre project

Chintan chintangirishmodi at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 19:23:00 IST 2009

From
http://wiki.encyclopaediaindica.com/~encyclo3/wiki/index.php?title=Inviting_contributions

Hello,

Greetings from the National Folklore Support Centre! We are glad to announce
that we are now accepting contributions for the Encyclopaedia Indica Kids:
Culture and Ecology project. Those with expertise and interest in the
environment and the ways in which ecology generates cultural practices are
welcome to write for this pioneering initiative to revitalize primary
education and our engagement with our environment.

The Encyclopaedia would examine and present scientific information and
folklore surrounding plants and trees, animals, and birds found in India.
The Encyclopaedia idea is drawn from the fact that each animal, plant, and
bird thrives in a unique ecosystem. While the scientific information related
this has been vastly documented and written about by ecologists, the
cultural expressions relating to unique ecosystems have not been documented.
By bringing these two disciplines together, the proposed encyclopaedia would
make an innovative contribution to primary education. As it is to be
organized for children, it will lend itself to the production of innumerable
educational products such as games, rhymes, songs, and local practices as
well.

Contributors would have to put together entries on the folklore surrounding
a particular species – including and not limited to use in rituals or folk
remedies, role in myth, beliefs, totems or taboos, folk tales or folk toys.
Those who are interested in writing for this project are welcome to contact
the National Folklore Support Centre at this email id -
info at indianfolklore.org . You can also write to the address below.

You can find instructions for contributors and an introduction to the
project here
http://wiki.encyclopaediaindica.com/~encyclo3/wiki/images/7/7f/Guidelines_for_Authors.pdf

Please do pass this message on to anyone you feel might be able to
contribute. Do follow the links from our homepage, www.indianfolklore.org,
for more information on this project and other NFSC initiatives.

Regards,

Malarvizhi.J

Managing Editor

Encyclopaedia Indica Kids: Culture and Ecology

National Folklore Support Centre,

No.508, Fifth Floor, "Kaveri Complex",

96, Mahatma Gandhi Road, Nungambakkam,

Chennai- 600034