[Reader-list] Bird-not-free in Kashmiri folk song

Kshmendra Kaul kshmendra2005 at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 10 17:56:43 IST 2009

For Jatasundari Devi.

May you access this reponse as 'sneakily' as you wrote from  "some friends' office mail ID"

1. Your passionate defense of Nakshabi is understandable since he did you a favour, or rather, by relying on his work, you did yourself a favour.

2. I would never dare to 'get after' your man. I did not call Nakshabi a 'plagiarist'. Please read my mail again.

3. You suggest that Nakshabi based his 'work' on Shuka Saptiti, confining himself to 52 instead of 70 tales. I did not suggest that. I only said that some say so. That includes you now.

4. You think Nakshabi can be called a  "self-censoring coward or a bad translator". I cannot say so.

5. Thank you for the info that "Zia was a hakim and contributed to the incorporation of Indian ingredients into the Unnani tibb".

6. You have called 'nonsense' the 2 weblinks from the US National Library of Medicine. I cannot say anything to that.

7. I agree that Nakshabi "could not have been painting in the18th century". Does not fit in with generally know biography.

8. I stand corrected. "Shuka" it is and not "Suka". Thanks. "Spashta uchcharan etc..." is important.

9. You falter (I speculate) in your 'speculation' about "sodras" (from 'sodur'). The lines in the poem talk about towing a boat across the "sodur" and about crossing shores.

Your mail was very enjoyable.

An educative digression:
(apparently from Aditya Narayan Dhairyasheel Haksar's translation of a verse from Shuka Saptiti)

"The best of the lover's couches
is higher on the sides
sunken at the centre
it will also bear the strong