[Reader-list] kashmir story, but true

Inder Salim indersalim at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 22:04:03 IST 2009

Dear Sanjay
i was expecting such a comment, which i knew i will find difficult to
reflect, but i  took the risk to post it, and the intention was to
higlight the sufferings of women.

There must be numerous other such details which are potent to speak
about Women's issues, but this one came to me and i posted it as it
is.  Perhaps, i should have restrictied to the narrative strictly, but
that was instanly done, so yes, in a sense, it becomes my story, but
as i warned in  post, that this is one such, so no need to generalize,
but at the same time, it compled me to talk about it, and  know what
others think about it.

I posted this tragic piece , i called it tragic, because i see the
silent pain of  women in Kashmir, the voice of which we need  to hear
more clearly, which has not happned so far, i am afraid.

 and the moment Mr. Anil ( name changed ) told me i was truley pained,
but dont we have such layers in kashmir as i narrated. Dont you know
that Kashmiri Pandits never ate food in a Mulsim houses, akin to a
typical Brahmin who never ate in a Dalit home, but always wanted to
make sex with their women folk. This is true about many socieities
where different Hierarchies  do exist.   In general, i stll  feel,
that Kashmiri Pandit imagine/think as genotypes/purer/inheritor etc of
kashmiri past ,  which also places the kashmir issue in historical
perespective, a bit more, if not entirely... I guess, the difference
between the two is not based on hate only, but a strange  deep
intimacy which creates its own twisted reality. my own life with a
friend called Nazir ( not name changed ) is a long story, and may be
have seen some images in my little blog from exhibition titld EVOKING
NAZIR, which has nothing to do with this nazir ( name changed one ),
but there are layers, which are painful and celebratory at the same
time.

So, the posting of such story is not because i wanted to talk about
that imperative only,  but primarily about the pain of WOMAN which we
rarely come to know.  Women  have suffered endlessly in Kashmir, why
kashmir only, always, in the past where ever conflicts went to battle
fields for a just resolution. and as you may agree, we hardly hear
such voices of the voiceless in written history,

So, i guess, we need to take care of those voices as well,
irrespective of the fact which side we stand.  Needless to emphasize
here, that i personally stand for the Kashmir issue as it stands as
people's issue, something which Indian stane never considred, and
something which Pakistani state  cleverly brushes aside too,

So, i dont see, why focusing a kashmiri ex-militant/activist's
behaviour, who treated  his wife very badly,  should not be seen
something which speaks about the women who suffered. Moving away from
the intention of my posting would perhaps lead to further supression
of the voiceless. I am not claiming to represent that voice, but it
was a little effort, and, unfortunatly it looks only negative meaning
is erupting out, so may be you can help me  can restructure the entire
narrative, ...

And i strongy feel how to talk about that pain of voiceless,  even
environmental issues, without altering the Kashmir issue as it exists,
is also need of the hour,

 It is a fact that lot of activist/militant called freedom fighters as
well, or mujahdeen etc, have abandoned their acitivism and have
married or returned to barracks, if one can say like that. To my
knowledlge, largely they are living in a poor condition, I guess, we
rarely get to know about such  individuals in kashmir who were  roring
once with courage, Time, i guess changes lot sometimes,  Sheikh Mohd
Abudullah, was great hero in his youth, but times changed him too, and
he sold kashmir to India very clandestinely. I am not drawing a
comparison between this ex-militan Nazir and Sheikh but we can see how
a man can change, and change for the worst even.

 One such is Nazir, but there must be hundreds like that and who might
be going throuh hudreds of different things in life right now, who
knows, and you know the complexites of living in a traditional society
in kashmir, it is not easy, first to go to fight Indian forces, and
secondly to return to and live, marry and have children. Returning
from war, not dead , is no that life which we might talk plainly,

I just happend to travel  once in a bus from Jammu to Delhi with a man
in his forties. He too was ex-activist/militant ( what he to me, very
hesitatingly)  and  i have seen tears in his eyes while he talked
about his school mate freind Sanjay.

Now, while writing it looks fiction and the problem is that we often
generalize it as is a trend: the style media which generally does so,
but i dont see such things happenig in kashmir, except this one,

And in your own film, Jash-e-azadi, you have rightly higlighted the
problem of increasing  Psychiatric  cases in kashmir, and  so is
there is a possiblity to cure them, or , if not , what.... ( if one of
them forces his wife to sleep with a wife ) , what is the solution
then, or we  simply brush it under the carpet,

Here, i see this woman ( victim ) who has no space to protest, and if
she has,  she is likely to loose her family life, and even, may be
stoned to death,  how sad...

Kashmir has gone through hell, and is still going through, and we know
how women face it all.

If u remember, how i photographed from a distance, two army jawans
talking to two women  in kashmir,  which again, higlighted the
problems of the  most vulnerable, besides children

hope this will suffice,and  i am really conscious about the fact that
after listening such a thing, may be other forms of expressions could
have fallen in, say a poem or something else,  but, it was too
instant...

with love and regards
is