[Reader-list] The death of the Internet as we know it

Monica Narula monica at sarai.net
Fri Sep 4 14:24:38 IST 2009

Claudia Borges:
The internet as we know it is at risk. The new rules in the EU (the
Telecoms package) voted on May 6 and will be negotiated again in
Autumn propose that broadband providers will be legally able to limit
the number of websites you can look at, and to tell you whether or not
you are allowed to use particular services. It will be dressed up as
‘new consumer options’ which people can choose from. People will be
offered TV-like packages – with a limited number of options for you to
access. It means that the Internet will be packaged up and your
ability to access and to put up content could be severely restricted.
It will create boxes of Internet accessibility, which don’t fit with
the way we use it today.

http://blackouteurope.eu/,/

Monica Narula
Raqs Media Collective