[Reader-list] Sep 17 Vijay Prashad, Sep 24 Chris Marker

Naeem Mohaiemen naeem.mohaiemen at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 12:57:58 IST 2009

On the next two Thursdays, there are programs in conjunction with the
"Live True Life or Die Trying" project at Cue Art Foundation. Hope you
can attend.

+++++++++++++

Conversation with Vijay Prashad
Introduction by DJ Spooky
Thursday, September 17th
7-9pm
Cue Art Foundation
511 West 25th Street, (between 10 & 11th Ave), Ground Floor
New York

Chris Marker's "Case of the Grinning Cat"
Thursday, September 24th
7-9pm
Screening in Lecture Hall, Room 101
5 Washington Place (between West 4th & Waverly Place)

+++++++++++++

Vijay Prashad

Vijay Prashad is author of "Darker Nations: A People's History Of The
Third World", "Everybody Was Kung Fu Fighting: Afro-Asian Connections
and the Myth of Cultural Purity", "The Karma of Brown Folk", "Keeping
Up With the Dow Joneses", "Fat Cats & Running Dogs: The Enron State of
Capitalism", etc. Prashad is a Marxist and co-founder of the Forum of
Indian Leftists (FOIL). Prashad, along with FOIL member Biju Mathew,
is a consistent opponent of resurgent Hindu cultural nationalism
('Hindutva'). He has also emerged as an early critic of Obama's
appointment of controversial figures such as Sonal Shah of Indicorps.

http://www.counterpunch.org/prashad07012009.html

+++++++++++++

The Case of the Grinning Cat

A long time ago I met the graffiti artist M Chat in the lower east
side. He wanted our help to organize a rally, but he had to stay
anonymous. Over drinks, he drew his cat on dollar bills and handed
each note to us as a gift. He was in New York as Marker's emissary. So
far I had been used to Guillaume, now there was a flesh & blood
man/boy. He was delightful and funny, and under the skin a sharp
political tongue. He was an appropriate stand-in. As we watched Iraq,
headscarf and that ghastly Le Pen unfold on screen, I kept my eye open
for that darn cat.

The next day M Chat was gone, and in his place new ghostly trails and
a few smiles painted on hard to reach walls.

http://monsieurchat.free.fr/MChat.php

All events are free & open to public.