[Reader-list] Selective condemnation of rape and murder has become bane of J&K politics

S. Jabbar sonia.jabbar at gmail.com
Thu Apr 1 13:28:38 IST 2010

More twists in Shopian: ‘hymen intact,’ doctor ‘admits’ cover-up
RIYAZ WANI Posted online: Wednesday, Sep 30, 2009 at 0358 hrs

Srinagar : More questions have come to haunt the Shopian murder and rape
case in the wake of the CBI’s exhumation of the two bodies.
While a forensic examination is said to have found that 17-year-old Aasiya
Jan, the younger of the two victims, had her hymen intact, a doctor who
conducted the first set of tests is said to have admitted to an alleged
cover-up.

“The CBI team showed us (Aasiya’s) hymen. But I told them it still doesn’t
rule out sexual assault or an attempt to rape,” said Ghulam Qadir Khan of
the Mushawarat Majlis-e-Committee, the ad hoc body of village elders which
led the 47-day agitation demanding justice for the victims. “We will wait
for the result (of the forensic examination) to come. And then we will
respond,” Khan said.

Several representatives of the Mushawarat were present when a team of senior
forensic experts from the All India Institute of Medical Sciences exhumed
the bodies and carried out a series of tests. Significantly, the Mushawarat
has acknowledged that it has “trust” in the CBI and that procedures were
carried out in a “transparent manner”.

Aasiya, 17, was found dead in a stream along with her sister-in-law
Neelofar, 22, on May 30. It was alleged they had been raped and killed by
security forces.

Khan said there was “no doubt” about the fact that the women had been
murdered. “There is a grievous injury on the skull of Aasiya which may turn
out to be the likely cause of her death,” he said.

Meanwhile, Nighat Chillo, a gynaecologist who was part of the team sent from
the Pulwama district hospital to Shopian to examine the bodies of the two
victims, is said to have told the CBI that she “forgot” to take vaginal
swabs and, as a cover-up, her superiors told her to pass off two “fake
slides” as the victims’.

The gynecologist was called to the camp office of the CBI team at Humhama
for questioning where she is said to have broken down. Chillo had gone to
examine the bodies along with Deputy Chief Medical Officer, Pulwama, Ghulam
Qadir Sofi and Health Officer Mohammad Maqbool.

Sources said that Chillo has claimed that when she told the doctors that she
didn’t have the swabs, she was asked to “check if she could collect it from
the gloves” she had used in the examination. When that didn’t yield
anything, she was told to collect “any two slides of the many in the
hospital” and pass them off as the victims.’

When contacted, Sofi, the then deputy CMO (now CMO Pulwama), said: “It is
true that we did not get samples (vaginal swabs for the slides) but we
thought that we will get them from the gloves that she (Nighat) was wearing
at the time of the examination”.

Ghulam Mohammad Paul, who was the CMO then, said: “When they (the team of
doctors) came to my office, they were carrying slides which I sealed and
forwarded to FSL...They didn’t tell me that the samples were not taken at
all.” Maqbool was not available for comment.

> From: Sanjay Kak <kaksanjay at gmail.com>
> Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 11:32:58 +0530
> To: Sarai <reader-list at sarai.net>
> Subject: Re: [Reader-list] Selective condemnation of rape and murder has
> become bane of J&K politics
>
> Sonia,
Where is this piece from? It usually helps to source such
> incendiary
writing, since the net is a place awash with propaganda and
> psy-ops.
(Sly ops?) Of course Mr Ahmed Ali Fayyaz is a senior
> Kashmiri
journalist-in fact he is widely regarded as the Praveen Swami
> of
Kashmiri journalism, and that is no small compliment to both.
About the
> piece: he has devoted considerable space to last years
events around the
> Shopian rape and murder, but the rhetorical use to
which he puts it overwhelms
> the details of this more recent event. One
misses a straight forward rendering
> of what has actually happened in
Pulwama. This is important because the
> mainstream media (including the
vast Indian Express bureau) seem to have
> missed the importance of this
incident.
For me A A Fayyaz's sentence "Second
> one has been purportedly shot on
camera and the actor stands not only
> identified but also placed under
suspension, arrested and jailed" is quite
> loaded. I would imagine that
most serious journalists would want to tarry for
> a moment on the
"purportedly shot on camera", and ask the who/how of this
> piece of
evidence. A rape shot on camera? By whom? The fact that he has
> been
placed under suspension, arrested and jailed is not evidentiary. This
is
> Kashmir we are talking about, after all.
Whatever its journalistic failings
> the piece inadvertantly still draws
attention to some important questions: why
> is there such a huge trust
deficit between the men in Olive Green/Khakhi and
> the people of
Kashmir? Why did the people of Shopian go on a 42 day hartal
> last
year? To suggest that it was only because they were misled
> by
self-serving politicians of the PDP and NC is to display an
astonishing
> lack of regard for facts: the Majlis-e-Mashawarat, which
led the hartal and
> the ongoing struggle, had made it clear that no
political parties were welcome
> in town, and they managed to keep the
issue quite distinct  from "Separatist"
> politics as well.
I think think a journalist of A A Fayyaz's stature would
> have done
well to find out what were the pressures that made Dr Nighat
> change
her statement (whether or not she swore on the Qur'an). Then perhaps
he
> would be led to the circumstances that led to the other Dr Un-named
being
> "purportedly shot on camera".
Lastly, am I the only one who reads some
> condescension in your comment
that "this group of well-meaning women are not
> the first to get misled
with half-facts and half-truths in Kashmir". Perhaps
> it would be
better if there was a concrete critique of the report of
> the
Independent Initiative, or their findings and conclusions. When you
say
> "the Shopian case was an extremely complicated case, which was
manipulated and
> presented to the world as fact", is there an
alternative reading that you
> would share with us, or guide us to?

Best

Sanjay Kak