[Reader-list] Selective condemnation of rape and murder has become bane of J&K politics

S. Jabbar sonia.jabbar at gmail.com
Thu Apr 1 14:17:40 IST 2010

Sanjay, I think I made myself adequately clear in my last mail:  Fayyaz sees
coercion as rape as does Engineer Rashid, the MLA from Langate.  It could be
sexual harassment or rape.  I don't have enough information to judge whether
the act was consensual.  The courts will decide.

Do I consider it on par with the Shopian rape & murder?  I told you before
and I will repeat it again:  Based on the evidence that we have at the I do
not believe it was either rape or murder. I am perfectly willing to change
my mind if compelling evidence is provided.

The reason I posted Fayyaz's article was because it underscored what many on
this list are guilty of.  Making a noise about things that further their
world views or political interests and keeping quiet when it doesn't.  I
have no axe to grind.  I feel wretched that 2 women died a tragic death and
then they were subjected to the worst kind of public scrutiny for months,
their sexual lives speculated upon, their characters ground down to the
dust.  The so-called custodians of public morality were the worst culprits
in this sick, perverse display of necrophilia.  And in all this din I wonder
whether you or anyone else heard the name of Nigeena Awan, a 16 year old,
Class X student and what happened to her around the same time and the same
place as the infamous Shopian 'gang rape & murder'?

> From: Sanjay Kak <kaksanjay at gmail.com>
> Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 13:41:51 +0530
> To: Sarai <reader-list at sarai.net>
> Subject: Re: [Reader-list] Selective condemnation of rape and murder has
> become bane of J&K politics
>
> Thanks, Sonia

Thanks for alerting me to the existence of Early Times which I
> had
somehow missed.
The link to AA Fayyaz's March 20th story is
> here
http://www.earlytimes.in/newsdet.aspx?q=51425

However, both the Indian
> Express story (forwarded by you today) as
well as this Early Times report
> don't easily lend themselves to a
reading of rape. (Although there does seem
> to be considerable sleaze
in the story...)

For others on this list, I quote a
> paragraph from A A Fayyaz's story:

"The video clip, now in circulation in the
> capital city and entire
south Kashmir, shows Dr Sofi committing the sexual act
> on a pretty
young woman who enters a room and takes off her trousers. Entire
> act,
in which both the characters are clearly identifiable, takes place on
> bed, reportedly in a room of the CMO's office. However, some people
suspect it
> to be Dr Sofi's clinic in Pulwama. The woman, wearing an
embroidered pink
> colour Pheran and Shalwar, and half of burqa on her
head (which is fully
> lifted from the front) does not pose any
resistance but does not offer any
> smiles either. Legal experts insist
that sexual exploitation of females on the
> promise of rewarding them
with a government job was very much rape and the
> accused was supposed
to be booked for rape.
In three days of investigation,
> Police have identified the woman as an
unemployed nurse of Balpora village of
> Shopian district. However, she
had neither been called nor questioned in
> custody or otherwise till
late tonight."

>From this, it does seem a bit early
> to put this incident on par with
the Shopian rape and murder, don't you
> think?

Meanwhile I sincerely look forward to your reading of the Shopian
> incident.
(Then I won't need to interpret your comments, and risk getting them
> wrong!)

Best

Sanjay Kak