[Reader-list] Selective condemnation of rape and murder has become bane of J&K politic

S. Jabbar sonia.jabbar at gmail.com
Mon Apr 5 10:04:39 IST 2010

Dear Junaid,

You claimed in your last mail that, ' In
between, what happened to the AIIMS doctor involved in the exhumation
of the bodies who doubted the CBI report. Praveen IB Swami rubished
him by suggesting that the doctor had been caught plagiarising in 2004
and was therefore not credible! If the doctor wasn't credible, why was
he in the investigation team in the first place?'

When I doubted that you have now sent Praveen Swami's link (and why do you
add the appellation IB to his name?  Because you don't agree with him?  As I
said in one of my emails to Sanjay Kak, this is the cheapest and easiest way
to dismiss someone if one doesn't agree with their ideas, but you still
can't wish him away.  Even you end up quoting or misquoting him!)  But I've
read the piece and it nowhere suggests that Dr. Gupta was a part of the
AIIMS team as suggested by you.  So, what are you trying to say to people on
this list? Please clarify lest one believes that you only want to
deliberately and mischievously confuse the issue further.

You say '(Except Praveen IB declared all charges were  wrong, that every
thing was a fabrication...' suggesting that the women were indeed raped and
murdered.  I took the time and energy to go through your last email to
provide point by point, some facts that indicate otherwise.  You haven't
bothered to respond to those, but seem perfectly content to continue to drum
up outrage on the rape and murder and heap scorn on those who doubt it--
why, despite my repeatedly saying I am open to changing my mind if you can
provide SOME credible evidence?

You seem to want to sift through my statement on Kunan Poshpora to find some
grist for your mill.  I'm sorry to disappoint you again and again.  Why did
I say 'away from the gaze of men?'  Women talk about their bodies very
differently within a group of women than in front of a group of men.  This,
dear Junaid, is a very, very basic for anyone who has worked in the field.
The women I met in K.Poshpora were a large group-- not of one family.  No
woman Kashmiri or Tamilian or Bengali or Pakhtun would talk about details of
a terrible incident of molestation and/or rape in front of men, even of her
own family-- husband, brother, uncle, nephew, son included.  And what I
said, if you bothered to read carefully, which you evidently did not, was
that I said that DESPITE my speaking to them privately, what they had to say
corroborated the fact that sexual violence DID take place and that is why,
'I believed them,' contrary to the findings of B.G. Verghese and others.

like Sarla Butt (remember her?-- [REMEMBER HER sounds like you're
insinuating something here...]--), Nigeena Awan, and Mariam Bi of Doda
who had the great distinction of being gang-raped by militants and
then carved up by knives."

Yes, I am clearly saying something here, not simply insinuating it.  And if
you want me to say it again here it is:  Rape, sadly, is not the sole
prerogative of the Indian security forces, and I don't hear your outrage
when women are raped by the militants.

In conflict zones across India there are two sets of men (or more) with guns
and both, unfortunately share unchallenged patriarchal views on women.
 Violence against women is seen as a natural extension and privilege of
patriarchy and rape as a weapon of war is never limited to one side.
Tragically, human rights groups have rarely responded to women who have been
sexually abused by militants.  For them these women simply do not exist.  If
the woman lives, she has no right to express outrage as it goes Œagainst the
movement.¹ The friends and family of such women are made to shut up, their
feelings made to seem illegitimate. What does this do to a community?
Everyone knows the truth but are divided because only selective truths see
the light of day.  Hardly, a situation conducive for the cohesion in an
ordinary society, let alone the kind one requires in a society engaged in a
freedom struggle.

You ask: First, what does it mean "IF and WHEN there is PEACE in Kashmir
there ought to be..........where these MATTERS CAN be raised"? Rape in Kunan
Poshpora constitutes a crime against humanity since the Indian state
is not accepting it and has no intention of bringing anyone to trial,
meaning it is shielding culprits and effectively suggesting the whole
incident had blessings of the state. MATTERS can't wait for your
PEACE! Any Matter. And Reconciliation to what? Forced Military
Occupation?

'If & when' does not refer to my desire for peace but refers to the nature
of wars in the late 20th c., which are protracted, and do not have a clear
conclusion.  Kashmir, sadly, seems to be one of those.  As I had already
clarified that I believed the Kashmir Dispute had to be settled amicably
between India and Pakistan in accordance with the wishes of all people in
all the regions of J&K (Jammu, Kashmir, Ladakh, Pakistan Administered
Kashmir and Gilgit & Baltistan) I did not think I had to reiterate it again.
Knowing how the aspirations of all regions pull in different directions and
the trajectories of both India and Pakistan and their perceived national
interests pull in opposite directions, I do not see a solution in the near
future, therefore, the 'if & when.'

'Matters can't wait for my peace?'  OK. So what have YOU done to bring the
perpetrators of K.Poshpora to justice and how far have you gotten in your
endeavor?  Please share this with us, because I really wish I could occupy a
place of permanent outrage like you and feel with a clear conscience that I
have done my duty to humanity.  My efforts have been slightly more humble,
but they have come from the best intentions to communicate with a larger
public on the truth of K.Poshpora and I want to tell you that despite my
writing about it, speaking about it and having it as part of a
photo-installation that has traveled the country and abroad it has made no
damned difference.  So now what?  Will my continued anger make any
difference to the lives of the women of K.Poshpora, or for that matter the
lives of the Babus who continue to shield perpetrators?  I doubt it.

When I speak of Truth & Reconciliation (in capitals) I refer to a very
specific historic experiment that to some extent was successful in allowing
the beginning of some healing process in South Africa.  I suggest you read
about it before subjecting me to another volley of hysterical accusations.

Best
sj

> [...]
> reconciliation commission where these matters can be raised. Not just
> what happened to women of Kunan Poshpora, but also scores of others
> like Sarla Butt (remember her?-- [REMEMBER HER sounds like you're
> insinuating something here...]--), Nigeena Awan, and Mariam Bi of Doda
> who had the great distinction of being gang-raped by militants and
> then carved up by knives."
>
> First, what does it mean "IF and WHEN there is PEACE in Kashmir there
> ought to be..........where these MATTERS CAN be raised"? Rape in Kunan
> Poshpora constitutes a crime against humanity since the Indian state
> is not accepting it and has no intention of bringing anyone to trial,
> meaning it is shielding culprits and effectively suggesting the whole
> incident had blessings of the state. MATTERS can't wait for your
> PEACE! Any Matter. And Reconciliation to what? Forced Military
> Occupation?
>
> Junaid
>

> On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 10:29 AM, TaraPrakash <taraprakash at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Dear Sonia. thanks for offering some rational discourse on this otherwise
>> emotionally charged list. There seems to be a "revolution" on the way in US
>> in the form of tea party movement. The most regressive types today are
>> calling themselves revolutionary. These revolutionaries include as
>> regressive and as fascist a group as KKK. This movement that is getting a
>> lot of media attention is calling whoever does not agree with them, fascist.
>> Only those agree with them are true Americans. Their rallies include a lot
>> of gun-toting individuals who speak in favor of armed militia who would take
>> America back to impose middle ages on people.
>>
>> Well, what is the parallel? We will understand from some of these mails that
>> true Kashmiris are only those who think like them. Just say no, just disrupt
>> is the only right thing. There is nothing wrong in gun culture. It's okay to
>> subjugate women and behead those who think differently. Brand them as Indian
>> agent, Hindu agents, RSS agents wherever need be. Sadly, you will see some
>> of progressives playing in the hands of Kashmiri regressives.
>>
>> When I asked some time back who Junaid considered Kashmiris, my motives were
>> declared as specious. But yes there was a response that dekashmirize a lot
>> of Kashmiris. Now again when you talk about some miscreants, they equate it
>> as your calling all kashmiris names. In the name of an alternative model,
>> they have nothing but a philosophical chatter. If you ask my opinion, some
>> individuals for whom Kashmiris are bread and butter, have harmed the cause
>> of Kashmir. If their alternative model is as insane as the current one, what
>> is the need for change? If they just want to replace oppressors, is there
>> any reason for supporting the movement? It's not a freedom movement, it's
>> like give me the rein movement -- Let me control the asses, I mean masses.
>> Again, we need sane voices like yours, keep your emails coming.

>>> policemen (who were booked for dereliction of duty) from getting bail in