[Reader-list] Pakistan kids on reality show face MNS ire

Kshmendra Kaul kshmendra2005 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 1 14:55:21 IST 2010

Dear Rakesh

Please dont mix up issues. That brings neither understanding nor clarity.

What was being spoken about is 'school instruction' (Textbooks) and not the propaganda indulged in over Media (State controlled or Non-State) of which there is no doubt that both sides dole out.

For a DD on one side there is a PTV on the other and one should see 'Kashmir File' on PTV to compare.

Media does not indoctrinate unless all of it is under a single control and all of it puts out identical analyses and opinions. Media on both sides of the border is now quite free and you get a variety of perspectives ranging from the jingoistic to verging on what some see as anti-national (on both sides). Viewers/Readers (mostly adult for such fare) can in turn make their own judgements.

Textbooks are an entirely different matter. The propaganda or intention of (hate) indoctrination contained  in textbooks is addressing impressionable minds.

I hope you can appreciate the difference between the impact of Textbooks and Media.

There is a serious problem of hate-indoctrination in Pakistani Textbooks which (whatever I as an Indian might say) is worrying many Pakistanis themselves. Textbooks have been revised but they are finding it difficult to introduce them.

As long as such hate-indoctrination of the children in Pakistan continues, it is the very foolish who will expect there can be durable peace between the two countries and a mutuality in being acceptive of each other.

And understand this, if the hate-indoctrination through textbooks stops today it will be another 50 years or so before there will be a 'calling the shots' generation that will be free of such hate-indoctrination through textbooks.

Kshmendra