[Reader-list] Kashmir Comes to Jantar Mantar

Rakesh Iyer rakesh.rnbdj at gmail.com
Sun Aug 8 21:14:45 IST 2010

Dear Shuddha

While I do understand that loss of lives is a despicable thing and we should
criticize it, I would also like to ask you these things (and please, don't
consider me to be on any side when I ask them, except that of being curious
and pained at the whole list of events) :

i) When people are throwing stones, and there is even burning of police
vehicles and stations, leading to damage of public property, is there a
logical course of action to achieve peace? If yes, what can it be? In other
words, what can be the steps to break the cycle of violence and
counter-violence?

ii) What steps can one take, at least as a beginner, to ensure that such
events are not repeated and we can actually get back to a situation where
the stakeholders involved are genuinely interested in maintaining a modicum
of peace and tranquility (this includes Indian state, Pakistani state and
those entities in Kashmir which may be bent on indulging in violence)?

iii) Most importantly, what are the constraints on arriving at a solution
for the stakeholders involved in the process? For example, what stops the
Indian state from making Kashmir independent or even say remove AFSPA (if
that is a positive step in solving this problem)? What stops the Pakistani
state from making positive assertions in this problem? What about the
Kashmiris in this regard?

iv) What does the word 'azadi' actually mean, in your view? (Kashmiris who
are on this forum as also others, I would appreciate if you could put across
the answer to this question). And how is this 'azadi' different from the
current scenario, or from what the Indian republic currently ensures or has
to ensure at least constitutionally?

In the hope that I do get replies. Because on Sarai, if there are to be
debates, they are to be around these questions (and also many more) on these
issues, which can enlighten our minds and get us on some path may be in
understanding the issue. And also make Sarai a better forum to debate in an
exhaustive manner on many issues.

Rakesh