[Reader-list] Flood relief for Ladakh and Pakistan

SJabbar sonia.jabbar at gmail.com
Fri Aug 13 21:31:45 IST 2010

A message from Ravina Aggarwal:

Hello friends,
Many of you have asked about how you may contribute to a relief fund that
will deal with the awful flash floods disaster in Ladakh. There is no easy
answer as the rescue operations for missing persons are still of paramount
concern and the roads are still inaccessible in many areas. The hard task of
rebuilding will take a long time. From my communication with colleagues on
the ground, these are some of the needs besides food and shelter that they
anticipate for rehabilitation in the next few months:

€ Medical Aid
€ Water: Rebuilding and cleaning water sources to prevent epidemics due to
contamination,
€ Redevelopment: planning and restoring broken houses, shops, and
infrastructure in a more sustainable way,
€ Education: reopening schools as well as exploring alternative ways of
imparting education temporarily
€ Communications: Building linkages within Ladakh and outside
€ Trauma Management: Needs Assessment of Individuals and Counseling services
Cultural Conservation efforts for Damaged heritage

LAMO (Ladakh Arts and Media Organization) is accepting monetary donations at
this point but only in Indian rupees. We are not yet equipped to take
donations of food or clothing although we are working a deal with the
airlines and have organized medical aid supplies. If you wish to donate,
please make a cheque payable to The LAMO Trust (our Ladakhi address is LAMO,
PO Box 152, Below Leh Palace, Old Town, Leh, Ladakh 191401 but due to lack
of communications at this point you can send it in the name of The LAMO
Trust to me at 13, Nizamuddin East (right side), 2nd Floor, New Delhi
110013). Please do send us a facebook message or an email to
lamorelief at gmail.com indicating your contribution is on its way and give
your name and mail/email address and indicate for what purpose you would
like your contribution to be used. That way we can channel it to the
appropriate cause, either through activities that LAMO will undertake or
through other ngos or departments with
which we are networked. To ensure accountability, LAMO will send periodic
e-reports on the use of this money to contributors.

LAMO¹s activities are centered on the intersection of arts and media with
town planning, poverty, and diversity in Ladakh. In August 4th, the day I
returned from Leh, my colleagues from LAMO presented their work on a project
(supported by the Sir Dorabji Tata Trust)on water and the Old Town of Leh to
the Minister of Tourism and Culture for Jammu and Kashmir to advocate for
planned and inclusive redevelopment of Old Town. The organization is
committed to this vision and will continue to take it forward in spite of
adverse circumstances.

Thanks to all your thoughtful wishes for the people in Ladakh.
Ravina

Relief4Pakistan Campaign:

Relief4Pakistan is a grassroots donation campaign designed in response to
the deadly floods in Pakistan.
To donate: www. www.relief4pakistan.com