[Reader-list] Fwd: Comrade Arjun

A. Mani a.mani.cms at gmail.com
Sat Aug 14 15:31:28 IST 2010

On Sat, Aug 14, 2010 at 10:48 AM, Rakesh Iyer <rakesh.rnbdj at gmail.com> wrote:
> This is, in my view a highly prejudiced article. And I say that because of
> the following things:

You have been brainwashed by the right wing media.

> i) The Left is not an innocent player of politics as has been claimed in the
> article. The Left has a very strong cadre base and can organize violence at
> the drop of a pin. In fact, they have done so on innumerable occasions in
> the past. In the case of Nandigram, the Left had actually killed people or
> attacked those who were its earlier supporters but had turned against it due
> to the possible loss of their livelihoods.

The media reporting has been all biased. All the violence was
initiated by the TMC-'so-called-maoists' combine against left
supporters and violence definitely means continued violence. Plenty of
Left refugees resulted as a result of the violence. The SEZ question
is different- the left view on the SEZ  regulations (under the present
circumstances) is  very different from that of the centre.

> get the issue important for everybody. If Singur and Nandigram would not
> have witnessed violence from those who were fighting for their own rights
> against the CPI (M), the Left would have massacred everybody who were
> opposed to acquisition of land.

Nonsense. In Nandigram, the TMC-'so-called Maoist' combine attacked
left supporters and evicted them first. There was a tactical mistake
by the police. Singur witnessed vandalism and violence by the
TMC-'so-called Maoist' combine.

> But in West Bengal, the Left just crushes any dissent by ensuring that govt.
> schemes work only for those who are on its' side. The Left has turned the
> police into an arm of itself. The Left, which opposes Salwa Judum in

The Left does not oppose dissent and all parties are active in West Bengal.
It is the bankrupt TMC and congress, that believes in violence. The
right-wing media propaganda is not borne by ground reality.
The propaganda (including the recent nonsense in Tehelka)  is used to
physically attack the Left.
Of course, the Left has to defend itself.

> iii) As far as the Maoists is concerned, it may be true certainly that
> Mamata is playing politics by hobnobbing with the Maoists. But the real
> solution to Maoism can't and shouldn't be by butchering them or shooting
> them down. If the Trinamool and Maoists are accused of dehumanizing those
> they kill, then this solution also does the same. How then are we different
> from the Maoists (or even the Trinamool, and I would include, the Left)?

The 'so-called-maoists' are merceneries with no coherent ideology.
They are a great
threat to what little democracy exists in the country. In Jharkand,
because of their machinations, the major political parties have become
more corrupt and removed themselves from 'any politics' or development
whatsoever. Most of the MLAs in their assembly have been elected with
the 'so-called Maoists' support. As per their doctrine, 'corruption is
against the Indian state' and therefore probably, they are for
corruption. Apart from extortion, looting and other means of income,
this is an important source. They expect this situation to cause 'the
people to rise spontaneously'.
with violence and their guns. This murder of democracy has a solid
business model (at least for those with power in place) and cannot be
countered with 'stupid talks' and calls for armed intervention and
nothing less. They do not have a 'mass base' for talks.

> Because Naxalism is not about development. It's about the fight to dignity
> and a way of life which is placed at a higher pedestal by the tribals. You
> may not like it, but you have no right of stopping them from living like
> that. At best, you can advise them. But that's it.

These 'so-called maoists' do not have any concept of development or
development model. The naxals of the seventies did have a erroneous
method of development in mind.  They want complete anarchy first.
The naxals have been playing with tribal identities too, but do not
care about building a mass base. All they have been doing is
recruiting tribals into the lower levels of their army. But the
tribals are probably going to be collateral damage, given the anti
tribal position of both the Centre and naxals.

Best

A. Mani
--
A. Mani