[Reader-list] The Deception of the Indian Liberal Discourse on Kashmir

A. Mani a.mani.cms at gmail.com
Tue Aug 17 23:16:07 IST 2010

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 5:06 PM, Kshmendra Kaul <kshmendra2005 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Can you lay off from that propagandist note of "the right-wing media". I am a Kashmiri and not some media-stooge.
>
> Since you claim to know a lot about 'the rise of separatist movements in Kashmir' and 'the
> motives of those who have started them in the first place' will you educate us on what are the "corporate interests" of the "Leaders of these political parties" who according to you "are not communal or anti-national duds" but "drown their corporate interests with communal and nationalist/anti-nationalist passion."

What I meant to say was that the same old Pakistani and other
interests in Kashmir have become integrated /diluted with corporate
interests. The funding sources of the Hurriyat include a wide spectrum
of corporates and not necessarily from abroad. You should be knowing
at least some of the links. Even real estate developers in Jammu pay
them.

J&K has not escaped the liberalisation policies of successive Central
Govts since the 90s, though Government spending (or promised to) in
the state has been relatively more (according to official statistics)
or rather has been forced to. There is plenty of unemployment in the
capital itself for enough unrest.

If you think that religious fundamentalism and Pakistan are the main
causes... then it is probably not so... is the whole of J&K burning or
is it just a few locations? There is plenty of monetary profit in the
politics industry  for all the right-wing parties involved. Nowadays
these people think in clear investment-return terms. All this of
course means that the real material concerns of the majority may never
be addressed.

You  should think more before jumping to conclusions.

Best

A. Mani

--
A. Mani