[Reader-list] "Follow Gujarat's lead in fighting climate change"

anupam chakravartty c.anupam at gmail.com
Thu Dec 23 11:35:02 IST 2010

Modi's idea of writing of a book on climate change reminds us of a famous
dialogue from Hindi movie: Waqt unlike the comparisons being drawn with Al
Gore. I also think of following reasons why Modi is writing a book. But is
Gujarat Pollution Control Board listening to him. How is it possible that
near Vatva Common Effluent Treatment Plant (CETP), a low cost housing
project was allowed to be constructed within 1 kilometer radius?

http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/article396375.ece

"According to a report released by the Central Pollution Control Board
(CPCB), Gujarat generates almost 29 per cent of the 62 lakh metric tonnes of
hazardous waste generated every year. It is followed by Maharashtra (25 per
cent) and Andhra Pradesh (9 per cent)."

http://www.indiaenvironmentportal.org.in/content/effluent-treatment-facilities-across-golden-corridor-does-not-conform-gpcb-norms

"Despite the “Polluter Pays” principle, even in the nineties the then
developing common effluent treatment plants (CETPs) were highly supported by
public money; 25% of the cost was state subsidy, 25% central subsidy, 30%
loans from financial institute, and 20% directly paid by the industry. In
essence half of the proposed solution to the pollution generated for private
profit was funded by the general public. Moreover this happened at the same
time that the state was withdrawing from its social responsibilities, such
as education, health care and transportation. It seems paradoxical that the
mounting laissez faire sentiment allowed the state to intervene on behalf of
industries – which come to exist by virtue of concentrated resources and
power – but not for the welfare of the common masses. Even after such huge
investment many of the CETPs including Vapi, FETP - Ankleshwar, Panoli,
Nandesari, Vatva, Odhav, Narol etc.  are not able to meet the prescribed
GPCB norms."

Even though Modi administration was opposed to the transfer of Bhopal waste
to the incinerator owned by Bharuch Enviro Infrastructure Limited (BEIL), it
was BEIL officials who expressed inability to dispose the waste in Gujarat
as 15,000 tonnes of toxic waste were backlogged.

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/stalemate-over-bhopal-waste-disposal/433532/1

This happened after there were protests from various sections of the state
including Congress which accused Modi administration for allowing the Bhopal
waste to be incinerated in Gujarat:

http://www.siasat.com/english/news/modi-govt-had-allowed-disposal-bhopal-waste-guj

The title of the book: “Convenient Action-Gujarat's Response to Challenges
of Climate Change”. Whose convenience??? when we have
http://ibnlive.in.com/news/indias-failure-to-prevent-child-labour/137195-3.html