[Reader-list] SRK BLUNDER

Rakesh Iyer rakesh.rnbdj at gmail.com
Sun Feb 14 16:45:49 IST 2010

Dear Malik jee

The Maharashtra govt. hasn't done anything of substance to suggest (except
for the recent arrest of Shiv Sainiks who were involved in violent
activities) that they are serious in taking on this problem. The simplest
strategy could have been to house arrest the entire Thackeray clan and keep
them in house arrest (without anybody meeting them or their views being
heard out) for the next 6 months or so. Things would have improved
automatically.  Once goons are not heard, things turn to sanity.

I do understand that some may comment here, that it's an attack on freedom
of speech. To that I would respond by saying that freedom of speech has a
limit that it shouldn't result in loss of freedoms or rights of other
individuals, and if it does so, then it has to be curtailed, howsoever much
we may dislike it. What the Thackerays are indulging in are plain threats,
and they should be put behind bars for inciting people to commit violence.

Rakesh