[Reader-list] Pune: Hindutva terror?

Javed javedmasoo at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 13:21:28 IST 2010

Pune And After
Why The German Bakery? Why not the Chabad House or the Rajneesh
Ashram? Why only one explosion? Why not serial explosions? Should
India go ahead with the Feb.25 talks with Pakistan or put them on
hold?

B. Raman
http://www.outlookindia.com/article.aspx?264301

Statements and comments from home minister P.Chidambaram and officials
indicate that the explosion in the well-known and well-frequented
German Bakery of Pune  around 7 PM on February 13, 2010, was an act of
terrorism. The case is under investigation by the local police and
possibly too by the National Investigation Agency (NIA), which came
into being after the 26/11 terrorist strikes in Mumbai. According to
the latest information, nine persons, including one foreigner, died in
the explosion, which appears to have been not a sophisticated one,
that could have required any special training. The expertise involved
could have been locally acquired. One must control the reflex to point
an accusing finger at Pakistan.

The NIA's first major investigation was into the travels and
activities of David Coleman Headley of the Chicago cell of the
Lashkare-Toiba (LET) and his associate    Hussain Rana, also of
Chicago, in India to collect operational information  required for
targeting by the LET. Some of the details collected by Headley were
used by the LET in the 26/11 strikes in Mumbai. He had also collected
target details about other places of interest including in New Delhi
and Pune. These details had not been used till now though his
interrogation by the FBI reportedly indicated that the LET was
interested in another terrorist strike--this time in New Delhi.

Among the targets of interest to Headley in Pune was the local Chabad
House, a Jewish cultural-cum-religious centre, which is frequented by
Jewish visitors to Pune and the local Rajneesh Ashram frequented by
the Western followers of Rajneesh, an Indian spiritual guru, who used
to live in the US and was the mentor of some sections of Western
youth. Both these places reconnoitred by Headley were near the German
Bakery, but neither of them was attacked on February 13. Instead, the
German Bakery was targeted.

Why the German Bakery? Why not the Chabad House or the Rajneesh
Ashram? Why only one explosion? Why not serial explosions well
orchestrated as organised by the Indian Mujahideen in Uttar Pradesh,
Jaipur, Bangalore, Ahmedabad and New Delhi between November 2007 and
September,2008? Is it a lone wolf terrorist strike as one saw over
Detroit on Christmas Day when a Nigerian tried unsuccessfully to blow
up a US plane as it was getting ready to land in Detroit or did it
involve a team of terrorists like the 26/11? What is the significance
of the timing? Anything to do with the forthcoming resumption of
Indo-Pakistan dialogue on February 25? The dialogue has been under
suspension since 26/11. Did the timing have anything to do with the
US-UK offensive against the Afghan Taliban in the Helmand province,
which got going on Feb.13? Is it a carry-over of the anger  against
the Germans which Al Qaeda elements from Germany based in Pakistan's
tribal belt have been showing since September last? Should India go
ahead with the Feb.25 talks with Pakistan or put them on hold till a
clear picture emerges?

These are questions which have to be addressed by the NIA and the
policy-makers in Delhi as the investigation makes headway. The Govt.
of India should keep an open mind and look into all possibilities and
should avoid over or hasty reactions. Reconstruction and investigation
of the explosion should have priority and not retaliation against it.

B. Raman is Additional Secretary (retd), Cabinet Secretariat, Govt. of
India, New Delhi, and, presently, Director, Institute For Topical
Studies, Chennai.

COMMENTS :
	HAVE YOUR SAY
Feb 15, 2010 12:30 PM
21

Maha,

>> what points?

The points raised in my post: "One must remember that Pune is the
headquarters of Abhinav Bharati and Janajagruti Samiti. Previous
blasts by Hindutva terrorists were carried out in such a way that the
suspicion would fall on Muslims. Picking a location that had been
visited by Headley would serve that purpose. In my view however it is
more likely that the blast was the work of Indian Mujahideens or
Pakis, but as Raman said, "The Govt. of India should keep an open mind
and look into all possibilities and should avoid over or hasty
reactions.""
Anwaar
Dallas, United States
Feb 15, 2010 12:21 PM
20

Varun,

>> we are going to have put up with mendacity, irrationality and obfuscation from Islamists and just from Moslems in general who want to blame some Hindu group.

Actually most of the mendacity, irrationality and obfuscation is from
you side! Raman recommends, "The Govt. of India should keep an open
mind and look into all possibilities and should avoid over or hasty
reactions." But obviously keeping an open mind is just beyond you.
Anwaar
Dallas, United States
Feb 15, 2010 10:24 AM
19

"It is pretty obvious you have no answer to the point raised."

what points ? Anyone can create a blog and write biased junk
propaganda articles. That does not mean we have to respond them. There
some isolated incidents with these hindu idiots and these losers are
turning this into some kind of national conspiracy of hindu terrorism.

It is interesting you have easily bought this, but still not convinced
about ISI's involvement in terrorism in India.
Maha
NJ, United States
Feb 15, 2010 10:08 AM
18

Exactly. It is pretty obvious that Pune blast is work of Hindu
terrorist. I am sure likes of Vishal Arora, Ram Puniyanis, Teestas
will be able to link it to them through their great investigative
work.
Maha

For the next little while, we are going to have put up with mendacity,
irrationality and obfuscation from Islamists and just from Moslems in
general who want to blame some Hindu group for the latest attack. For
some real beauts, check out Countercurrents.org The list of suspects
here would include Mossad and the CIA.
Varun Shekhar
Toronto, CANADA
Feb 15, 2010 09:39 AM
17

Usual trick by the usual suspects is blame some obscure Hindu group, I
suppose.I do not think the victims of this bomb blast will care to
know whether local Islamist or Paki sponsored Islamist was
responsible. Have a look at this and I totally agree with the author,
Sandeep.
http://www.sandeepwe...fter-and-ever-after/
Rama
sydney, Australia
Feb 15, 2010 07:37 AM
16

"Exactly. It is pretty obvious that Pune blast is work of Hindu terrorist"

I do not know about that but one thing is sure. Pakistan had
absolutely NO hand in the incident.
Ganesan
Nj, USA
Feb 15, 2010 05:19 AM
15

Maha,

>> It is pretty obvious that Pune blast is work of Hindu terrorist.

It is pretty obvious you have no answer to the point raised.
Anwaar
Dallas, United States
Feb 15, 2010 03:10 AM
14

http://prabhuguptara...stika-terrorism.html"

Exactly. It is pretty obvious that Pune blast is work of Hindu
terrorist. I am sure likes of Vishal Arora, Ram Puniyanis, Teestas
will be able to link it to them through their great investigative
work.
Maha
NJ, United States
Feb 15, 2010 02:22 AM
13

Maha,

Re: "Previous blasts by Hindutva terrorists were carried out in such a
way that the suspicion would fall on Muslims".

"The police had also reportedly found Muslim taqiyahs (skullcaps) and
fake beards in Rajkuntwar’s house."

http://prabhuguptara...stika-terrorism.html
Anwaar
Dallas, United States
Feb 15, 2010 01:42 AM
12

"Previous blasts by Hindutva terrorists were carried out in such a way
that the suspicion would fall on Muslims"

I agree. Most of the blasts that are suspected to be done by islamic
terrorists are found be done by Abhinav bharatis and other hindutva
terrorists.
Maha
NJ, United States
Feb 15, 2010 01:18 AM
11

" The Govt. of India should keep an open mind and look into all
possibilities ...."

Mr.Raman is right. Among "all possibilities" one must remember that
Pune is the headquarters of Abhinav Bharati and Janajagruti Samiti.
Previous blasts by Hindutva terrorists were carried out in such a way
that the suspicion would fall on Muslims. Picking a location that had
been visited by Headley would serve that purpose.

In my view however it is more likely that the blast was the work of
Indian Mujahideens or Pakis, but as Raman said, "The Govt. of India
should keep an open mind and look into all possibilities and should
avoid over or hasty reactions."
Anwaar
Dallas, United States
Feb 14, 2010 11:25 PM
10

Nasser u r showing pathetic mindset.Using Malaegaon and Samjhuta to
condone Pune is abysmal thinking and deadly dangerous.Dont know why
are you blaming Hindus for maligning yr Fellow Muslims.Have they not
indulged and continue to indulge in senseless acts of terror in the
name of Islam.WHy dont you guys look into yourselves and then blame
others.If at all your very own are to be blamed.
drharun
chennai, India
Feb 14, 2010 09:49 PM
9

"Mr Raman is a diehard Sanghi and one of his prime activity is to cast
aspersions on Muslims by preemptive judgment and then help the police
frame innocent or unconnected Muslims"

Moslems the world over( and you are evidence of it) despite Anwar's
laboured denials, feel that the assault on Mumbai in Nov/2008 was
really a conspiracy between the US, Israel/Mossad and some local Hindu
group( Abhinav Bharati?), who proceeded to massacre even Jewish
visitors to Mumbai with the idea of maligning Moslems.

This is the level of mentality of Moslems, and the kind of mendacious
and irrational people India is up against.
Varun Shekhar
Toronto, CANADA
Feb 14, 2010 09:46 PM
8

"Mr Raman is a diehard Sanghi and one of his prime activity is to cast
aspersions on Muslims by preemptive judgment and then help the police
frame innocent or unconnected Muslims'

Nasser

Hadely and Rana have bare many things about the Inidam Mjuhidins .Try
to accept the truth.
a k ghai
mumbai, India
Feb 14, 2010 09:20 PM
7

http://news.rediff.c...towards-pakistan.htm

This cannot be true. This is pure Sanghi propaganda to malign our
great neighbor.
Maha
NJ, United States
Feb 14, 2010 08:59 PM
6

An excellent article

http://news.rediff.c...chasing-a-mirage.htm
Ganesan
Nj, USA
Feb 14, 2010 08:45 PM
5

Mr Raman is a diehard Sanghi and one of his prime activity is to cast
aspersions on Muslims by preemptive judgment and then help the police
frame innocent or unconnected Muslims.He deliberately kept silent on
the revelations of Late Kharare the honest and conscientious police
officer's finding of the Hindu terrorist outfits who were involved in
blasts in Malegoan,Samjhuta Express and in others places in
Maharashtra.Sangh parivar and BJP have more to gain than Pakistan in
these blasts.
nasar
Raleigh, USA
Feb 14, 2010 08:45 PM
4

A great news! Talks with Pak is still on. As CNN-IBN reports, India is
not going to react in a knee-jerk manner. What broadmindedness! What
diplomacy!!! Touche!!!! My heart melts.

I have a question though. Why were the talks suspended after 26/11?
And India's position then was till the culprits are brought to
justice, there will be no talks as it would not be meaningful. Did the
govt acted in knee-jerk manner then? Or did I miss the news that the
culprits of 26/11 have been brought to justice?

What a joke!!! None of the terror incidents in the last 10 years has
been solved. Not one terrorist who planned any of those attacks has
been killed in retaliation. Not one culprit who masterminded the
attacks have been brought to justice. Manmohan Singh goes out and
makes a statement(I am convinced it was a routine statement recycling
the old ones. He did not bother one bit about this) about bring this
bunch of culprits to justice as though the previous incidents have
been solved. The shameless media dares not ask one question.

But why blame Manmohan or the press? People do not care one bit about
terrorism. And this callous, knee-jerk response is what they will get.
In a week, this incident will be forgotten like the hundreds before,
we will be praising the virtues of peace talks till the next terror
attack.

And the clarion call "We will bring the culprits to
justice..........." (End of episode 2569. TO be continued)
Ganesan
Nj, USA
Feb 14, 2010 07:21 PM
3

Dear Mr Raman;

This incident,s timing is very sensitive. It looks like a deliberate
attempt in stalling the proposed talks with Pakistan? If so whose
interests are these rouge elements serving?

What needs to be thoroughly scrutnised is Pakistans sentimence towards
the talks, where they receptive or skeptical and was being forced to
accept the offer of talks by us , so they might want to withdraw or
stall the new initiatives?

If the Pakistanis were receptive and open to the talks, were there any
'strings attached'?

Or if the Pakistanis were open hearted in their approach, whose
interests were the talks going to have a negative impact on?

What were to be our gains, which might have had negative impact on
other's designs?

The root might be more political and economic, as;

a) India is heading for major arms purchase drive with billions of
dollars involved in the stake.

b) An increased understanding (remotely possible) between India and
Pakistan and subsequent (again remotely possible) reduction of
anti-India activities from Pakistani soil, so India might be able to
concentrate more on more important issues? Like counter measures to
balance the threat from further north.

c) The American intent of leaving Afgan, and the possible consequences
or benefits for India vis-a-vis a better relation with Pakistan, also
the possible losers if India were to have more amicable relations with
Pakistan.

d) The Proposed gas pipelines from Iran and its future direction, if
ever India and Pakistan were to be on more amicable terms that the
present of the past.. Who stand to win and who stands to lose in this
regard?

e) The recent curry bashing in Australia - which seems to be scripted
to strain Indo-Aussie relations? Subsequently attemting to ignite some
sour sentimense against India as a whole, in the heart of foreigners ,
especially the western world? If so whose interets would it serve?

f) Or is this a rouge incident by other regional actors to divert
attention from the recent MNIK controversy?

If we are to gain from indulging in fruitful taks with Pakistan, in
the long term or short term, my call is our country should pursue the
talks and at the same time be vigilant as ever.

JJ Jhb-Za/Ktm
JJohn
Kottayam, India
Feb 14, 2010 04:58 PM
2

The timing has surely got to do with the entire focus of the
Maharashtra government getting concentrated firstly on Rahul Gandhi's
Mumbai visit,followed by the CM himself getting involved in protection
to showing of MNIK film.It surely is the handiwork of local Jihadis.
S.S.Nagaraj
Bangalore, India
Feb 14, 2010 03:22 PM
1

It is time india realised that it is a big market and people want
access to that. americans are practically beggars including the entire
west. China also wants access to indian Market.

Use that clout and impose sanctions on anyboy who wants to sell goods
to India but at the same time works against our interest. There is
huge list of countries which can be put in that list. One such measure
and all of them will fall in line.

Emmar for e.g. is just floating on Indian oxygen but Dubai keeps on
propping up Pakistani "interests". One such measure and Dubai will
fall in line.
vibhaas, Doha
vibhaas
Doha, qatar