[Reader-list] AMAN KI AASHA

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Wed Feb 17 15:09:40 IST 2010

Aditya,

I regret that you have once again abused the space of liberty on this
list by forwarding this idiotic poem, which I have wasted my time by
reading.

I am normally not a fan of the Times of India, or the Jang Group of
Newspapers, but, I have to say, that the steady stream of opposition
that their 'Aman Ki Asha' initiative seems to be gathering from the
usual suspects makes me even more interested in what the 'Aman ki
Asha' initiative is all about. I sincerely hope that it sets a trend,
and that other media corporations and other agencies mirror it by
setting up their own initiatives for sustaining the resources of
peace in South Asia, and especially between India and Pakistan, in
these difficult times.

Having tasted a bitter defeat after attempting their thuggery on the
'My Name is Khan' issue, the lunatic right is now seeking a fruitless
second wind, by riding the waves of the regrettable bomb blast that
occured in the German Bakery in Pune. Your effort to surf this wave
is pathetic. The xenophobia agenda is dead and buried, and no amount
of impotent roaring from Matoshtree will make it walk again.

I find the poem that you sent, strongly objectionable, because it
makes no attempt to distinguish between different kinds of opinion
and publics in Pakistan.

The poem says -

> Dilli, Mumbai Ahemdabad ne, jab ki thi jaane qurbaan,
> man hi man khush hote they, yahi paki haiwan.

For those who do not understand Hindi. These lines can be translated
as follows -

"When in Delhi, Mumbai and Ahmedabad, lives were sacrificed
In their hearts, Paki monsters rejoiced"

I am aware of the fact that time and again, whenever terrorist
atrocities occur in India, a significant section of Pakistani
political society condemn acts of terrorism in no uncertain terms.
Many people in India do the same when terrorism occurs in Pakistan.
To lump all Pakistanis (or for that matter, all Indians) as
'monsters' who 'rejoice in their hearts' when loss of life occurs, is
disgusting. I find your endorsement of this disgusting sentiment
shameful.

There is a very strong body of public opinion in Pakistan that wants
peace in South Asia, and realizes that peace is the only way forward
in Pakistan. They act vigilantly against war-mongers and preachers of
prejudice in Pakistan, exactly as many of us act vigilantly against
the constituency that advocates permanent aggression here. That
includes our vigilance against your hate filled agenda.

Whenever an atrocity like what happened in Pune occurs, I find that
the constituency of rabid right-wing nationalism comes crawling out
like maggots to feast on the dead. As if they were waiting for
tragedy to strike to once again find their reason for existence.

Have none of these people any shame? Have you none at all?

Shuddha