[Reader-list] AMAN KI AASHA

Rakesh Iyer rakesh.rnbdj at gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 14:13:48 IST 2010

Dear Aditya

I said long back and would still say this: the biggest problem between India
and Pakistan is the heavy dose of sentimentalism which is attached to the
relationship, both in glorification and vilification.  It is this
emotionalism and sentimentalism which is going to be the bane of the
sub-continent, not its boon. And it springs everywhere: the love between the
two nations is shown by few, and shared among some and the same can be said
about the hate.

What both nations, and more importantly, the citizens of both nations need
to do, is to look at the India-Pakistan relations without any sentiments
attached to it. Let's be objective in our approach and understand what is
the real problem. Whoever we may be, BJP, Shiv Sena, Congress, humanitarian,
Hindutva ideologue, Indian nationalist (on this side of the border), or even
on that side of the border, let us take rationalism and reason as the basis
for taking a decision.

The Aman ki Asha will fail sooner or later, because this whole notion of
love and peace is not going to be carried out for a while. All great love
stories died without the hero and heroines marrying, simply because after
marriage, love has to adjust with occupation and other things. This love
story too will die. Rather than breaking off and falling in love again
numerous times (which is indeed the case for India-Pakistan relations), we
may do well to work slowly but steadily on things which can be sorted out.

To begin with, let's have objective news analysis from either side of the
border to know the truth. Let the Pakistanis have an idea of how the
organizations which are against any peace with them or in favor of peace
run, and how much the govt. is able to have a control with them. Let a
vice-versa news analysis be also available on Pakistan and organizations
existing there, such as the Jamaat-ud-Dawa. That could be really the first
step towards this so-called Aman which the Times of India and their
Pakistani counterparts want to achieve.

Rakesh