[Reader-list] What is Dead in Marx

Pawan Durani pawan.durani at gmail.com
Sun Feb 21 00:16:42 IST 2010

http://ih52.stier.net/notes/marx/dead.htm
What is Dead in Marx

   1. Although many people continue to call themselves Marxists, and Marxism
   remains a vital intellectual and, to some extent, political tradition, there
   is broad agreement among even leftist intellectuals, that some of Marx’s
   theories and ideals are, however attractive, misguided or wrong. But there
   is also a great deal of disagreement about where and when, if at all, Marx
   goes wrong. This note is my own accounting of some of the greatest
   difficulties with Marx and Marxism.
   2. Some fairly obvious problems
      1. As we saw in *The Failure of Revolution *Marx’s account of how
      communism would come about is flawed, in large part because of
his mistaken
      view about the prospects for economic inequality.
   3. Marx on political and social life: the tension between individual and
   collective freedom.
      1. Marx would like to reconcile two conceptions of freedom:
         1. Individual freedom. Taken in its fullest sense, individual
         freedom would encompass:
            1. Civil rights and liberties: We are each able to make our own
            choices in life about what ends to pursue. We can decide
what work to do,
            what relationships to create, where to live and so forth.
            2. Political and social opportunities: We have the resources and
            educational opportunities to do whatever work we have an
interest and for
            which we have the natural talents.
            3. Educational and psychological opportunities: We have the
            psychological strength and education to honestly and
thoroughly grasp our
            opportunities.
         2. Communal freedom: Taken in its fullest sense, communal freedom
         would encompass:
            1. A radical democracy in which
               1. Each person had more or less equal influence on public
               policy
               2. Public policy were determined by majority rule
            2. Public deliberation and debate shaped the development of
            political and social life in all essential matters.
            3. Rational planning of political and social life is carried
            out.
         2. It does not seem possible to fully reconcile these two ideas.
         1. Both individual freedom and effective politico-economic
         coordination require the use of markets.
            1. Individual freedom does not seem to be possible if
            governments can tell individuals what jobs to do or what
commodities to
            purchase. So there must, at least, be a labor and consumer
goods market.
            2. As we have seen in *Control Over the Means of Production
            Under Capitalism and Communism, *efficient politico-economic
            coordination of a complicated, highly advanced,
technological economy is
            very difficult, if not impossible to achieve, by means of
a authoritative
            planning system or command economy.
            3. As we saw in the notes on *Nationalized Business
            Enterprises, *there are reasons to doubt the efficiency of such
            business enterprises.
         2. Communal freedom is not entirely possible, especially if markets
         are used for politico-economic coordination.
            1. Democratic planning is impossible if we cannot make some
            reasonable predictions about the future.
               1. How can we plan the future if we can’t predict the outcome
               of various public policies?
               2. The connection between planning and prediction is seen in
               the history of Marxist thought.
                  1. Marx’s confidence that a communist revolution is based
                  upon predictions about the future that rest on his
theoretical analysis of
                  capitalism.
                  2. As I argued in *Marxism and
Leninism<http://ih52.stier.net/notes/marx/ml.htm>
                  *, Lenin justified the rule of the communist party based
                  upon the supposed truth of his theoretical doctrines.
               2. But, prediction is difficult, especially about the future.
               1. Given that all sorts of natural phenomena can influence
               political and social life, prediction is very difficult.
                  1. We cannot predict natural disasters or the illnesses
                  and deaths of individuals.
               2. Prediction is especially difficult in a dynamic, growing
               political economy in which new knowledge is continually
created and new
               forms of technology are developed.
                  1. We cannot, in principle, predict the development of new
                  knowledge or technology.
                  2. Nor can we predict all the ways which will be
                  discovered for using or abusing knowledge and
technology or all of the
                  byproducts of such use.
               3. Individual freedom, and the use of markets, makes
               political and social planning even more difficult.
                  1. Freedom, and the use of markets, creates many
                  unintended consequences in political and social life.
                  2. When people are free, they interact in many unplanned
                  and unforeseen ways.
               3. In part, we may understand the failure of combining the
      greatest individual and communal freedom as the result of the romantic
      radicalizing of enlightenment ideals.
         1. Enlightenment philosophers sought both individual and communal
         freedom.
         2. But enlightenment typically did not demand the greatest possible
         freedom.
         3. And, faced with a choice, most (but not all) enlightenment
         philosophers would emphasize individual freedom. This is
certainly the case
         with Locke, who, like most liberal political philosophers,
were inclined to
         minimize the role of government beyond the protection of our
right, and let
         political and social outcomes be the result of the unintended
consequences
         of human interaction.
         4. Many (but, again, not all) romantic political and moral
         philosophers sought to realize both ideals of freedom, to the highest
         degree.
      4. It may be that the inability to reconcile the ideals of individual
      and communal freedom accounts, in part, for Marx’s inability to
give a full
      account of what a communist political community would look like.
         1. In part, Marx also wants to avoid the charge of utopianism. His
         ideals are not meant to be goals we should try to establish, but the
         inherent tendency of history.
         2. And, in part, Marx was trying to avoid making utterly
         unwarranted predictions about the future.
         3. Still, one can’t help suspecting that Marx’s reluctance to
         discuss the nature of communism reflects some problems that
he dimly saw but
         never explored in depth.
            1. Moreover, given that, as we saw above, rational planning
            requires a theoretical analysis of political and social
life, the failure of
            rational planning suggests the limits of Marx’s theory.
            2. Unfortunately, rather than recognize these limits, Lenin hid
            them, and justified his role in terms of his political and
social theory.
         5. The tension between individual and communal freedom does not
      undermine Marx’s ideals entirely.
         1. It is certainly possible to have both individual and communal
         freedom to a certain degree. And, indeed, we might have them
to a higher
         degree than we do now.
         2. But at some point we have to choose between them.
         3. Recognition of the necessity of choice is important.
            1. Doing so will keep us from making radical and perhaps
            dangerous changes in our political and social life in the
hopes of attaining
            unreachable ideals.
            2. Doing so leads us to adopt safeguards to protect our own
            ideals.
               1. If we uphold the liberal political tradition of the United
               States and choose the give a higher priority to
individual freedom, we would
               take steps to protect that freedom even at the cost of
reducing communal
               freedom.
                  1. We might, for example, limit the power of the majority
                  in order to protect individual rights, as we do by
giving the Supreme Court
                  authority to interpret the bill of rights.
               6. We should not blame Marx for his failure to recognize the
      limits of combining individual and communal freedom. We do the same thing
      all the time.
         1. When tend to assume that there is someone to blame for all
         natural, as well as political and social, disasters.
         2. That is, we neglect the possibility that some, unplanned and
         reasonably unexpected things just happen, without anyone
wanting them to.
         3. We are, that is, reluctant to acknowledge that, to some extent,
         political and social developments out of our control.
            1. That they are out of our control is why governments always
            seem to be looking back, in order to deal with old problems.
         4. Marx on Human Nature: Marx assumes, as we have seen, that
   scarcity can be overcome. There are two good reasons to doubt this.
      1. Even within the terms of Marx’s own theory of human nature,
      scarcity can never be overcome.
         1. The pursuit of free, productive activity is likely to be very
         expensive, at least for some people.
            1. For example, photographers and computer people will always
            want the latest equipment.
         2. There will be conflicts about common goods, such as what
         architectural style to build the city hall in.
         3. If Marx is right, these conflicts will not be all that severe.
            1. People will be more concerned with their productive activity
            than the accumulation of material goods for its own sake.
            2. And they will have broad interests and concerns. Thus artists
            will want photographers to have good equipment, and vice versa.
         4. But conflict over scarce resources will not end.
            1. People may be satisfied with using lesser equipment in their
            productive activity. But, if given the opportunity, they
would undoubtedly
            like to upgrade.
            2. No one has the time to develop their faculties and capacities
            in all directions. And they will naturally want to see a
greater share of
            resources go to those activities in which they have a
particular interest.
         2. Marx’s view of human nature may be partly wrong.
         1. As we saw in other notes, Marx seems to assume that the desire
         for esteem, prestige, pride, power, and domination is not
natural to human
         beings, but results from the conflict between people over
scarce resources.
            1. On this view, people only want esteem and power in order to
            gain greater material resources.
         2. But it may be that Augustine and Machiavelli were correct, and
         these desires are much more deeply routed in our nature than
Marx realizes.
            1. And, as we have just seen, conflict over scarce resources is
            unlikely to be eliminated, even on Marx’s view of human nature.
         3. What does that continued existence of political and social
      conflict mean?
         1. We must prepare for conflict. We need protection against those
         Hamilton called "the ambitious rapacious."
            1. This might, for example, justify restraints on both
            government officials and the majority. These restraints
could limit communal
            freedom.
            2. It would lead us to be wary of concentrating power in the
            hands of political authorities.
               1. This is one of the best arguments for allowing business
               enterprises, whether privately or socially controlled,
to be independent of
               governments.
            3. It might lead us to make room or space for the ambitious to
            realized their aims in less harmful or dangerous ways. See
the discussion
            in *Control of Work*.
         2. We cannot expect to live our lives fully engaged in pursuing the
         internal goods of free productive activity. We will always have to be
         concerned about the external, instrumental goods of money,
esteem and power.
      4. Again, this does not entirely undermine Marxist ideals.
         1. We might be able to invent forms of political and social life
         that tipped the balance towards a greater concern with free productive
         activity and thus reduce alienation.
         2. But we must be careful not to create greater problems than we
         solve.