[Reader-list] I LOVE GUJARAT

anupam chakravartty c.anupam at gmail.com
Mon Jun 14 13:43:30 IST 2010

Bipin,

He hasn't said anything new apart from praising sushil modi, which he is
bound to, and then making that statement that Gujarat is thankful for the
relief provided during Earthquake. Bipin, I understand your position very
clearly even though you have denied several times that you do not have any
kind of political bias. I think i would defend your position as well because
everyone has the right to assert their opinions. However, Modi's ( I am not
saying BJP now but very exclusively) stand point as I learn from you, to
become a pillar against congress and its policies turns him into a subset of
the Congress party. This i am saying from what you and several others have
accused Congress party for:

1. On many occasions, you have accused Congress for minority appeasement.
So, can we not say that the billboards about Gujarat government and how
Muslims are faring well in Gujarat publicised in Bihar are nothing but
blatant examples of minority appeasement (at least for electoral outcomes)

2. Today, Modi made a statement in the news media calling Sonia Gandhi as a
"maut ka saudagar", as she is the party chairman/president and she is being
quiet about Bhopal. the charge is understandable (although misplaced) in the
context of the recent exchanges  between finance ministry, ministry of
external affairs and DOW chemicals, which bought, Union Carbide ( minus the
legal liabilities, as claimed by the DOW officials, which is still undecided
in the court of law). however, Modi calling sonia gandhi maut ka saudagar in
this context (for Bhopal tragedy) is misplaced because Gujarat Alkalies and
Chemical Limited invited Dow Chemicals to invest Rs 600 crores in a joint
venture. the unit situated in Dahej, about 50 kilometers from CPCB labelled
critically polluted Ankleshwar, which will be producing Phenol, Acetone,
Propylene oxide and expansion of an already existing Hydrogen Peroxide
plant. The production is going to begin from Jan 2012.

3. former union minister for state and tribals, Faggan Singh Kulaste MP from
Mandla constituency (for some details of his background, click
this<http://www.indiarightsonline.com/Sabrang/india7.nsf/38b852a8345861dd65256a980059289d/4f77e389a15d0101652570de007d9496?OpenDocument>)
who is now a member of BJP's adivasi morcha was seen in Vadodara along with
the Gujarat tribal and forest minister, Mangu Patel, telling press reporters
that Gujarat government has not done enough in the implementation of the
Forest Rights Act. Then, he went on to praise Vanbandhu Kalyan Yojana of the
Gujarat government. and then he also criticised gujarat and the central
government for picking up innocent persons as naxals. a good number of
people could not figure out what his position was. he went on talking about
alienation of the indigenous communities, then he spoke of church and maoism
are two things eating away their cultural capital. he was addressing a
meeting of leaders from Guj and Rajasthan to discuss the plans of Adivasi
Morcha. now if you see the contradictions in his statement, i strongly feel
that there is some desperation not just with Modi but generally with former
leaders of BJP to make absurd statements and then get away with them. and
you there, Bipin, going on and on about how you love Gujarat. how people are
tarnishing Gujarat. nobody is, people are critical about the administration
of Mr Modi and his billboard gimmickry.

It is from here that i conclude that neither you, nor Narendra Modi, nor
Govardhan Zadaphia or even the existing political leaders of Congress, can
truly speak of Gujaratis nor you have any understanding about the issues in
Gujarat. all that you have got is claims for a tv advertisement about
Gujarat. trust me, only a certain class of affluent Gujaratis enjoy such
visual culture, rest barely have means to make their ends meet.

Thanks

Anupam