[Reader-list] Fwd: Feel free, Mr. Husain. Go paint Qatari leaders

Pawan Durani pawan.durani at gmail.com
Thu Mar 11 20:02:22 IST 2010

Dear Sir ,

As i repeat again , if my knowledge on subject is incomplete , i would
restrict my comments . However i suggest you should read Swami
Vivekanandas speech at "THE PARIS CONGRESS OF THE HISTORY OF RELIGIONS
"

The Swami said that the worship of the Shiva-Linga originated from the
famous hymn in the Atharva-Veda Samhitâ sung in praise of the
Yupa-Stambha, the sacrificial post. In that hymn a description is
found of the beginningless and endless Stambha or Skambha, and it is
shown that the said Skambha is put in place of the eternal Brahman."

Mr H.H Wilson writes

Although, however, the Linga holds a prominent place...the spirit of
the worship is as little influenced by the character of the type as
can well be imagined. There is nothing like the phallic orgies of
antiquity: it is all mystical and spiritual. The Linga is twofold,
external and internal. The ignorant, who need a visible sign, worship
Śiva through a 'mark' or 'type'--which is the proper meaning of the
word 'Linga'--of wood or stone; but the wise look upon this outward
emblem as nothing, and contemplate in their minds the invisible,
inscrutable type, which is Śiva himself. Whatever may have been the
origin of this form of worship in India, the notions upon which it was
founded, according to the impure fancies of European writers, are not
to be traced in even the Śaiva Puráńas.

I would try to provide you some more on this , as i have to look down
in my archive . You may study that as well.

Regrds

Pawan