[Reader-list] KASAV VERDICT

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Mon May 3 21:12:14 IST 2010

Mr. Trivedi,

In any trial, there is the possibility that the defendent will be
acquitted. Otherwise it would not be a trial. The guilt or innocence
of Kasab, or of any defendent, in a legal sense, is not for you or
for me to decide, it is for the judge. And the judge does so
depending on the evidence that is presented to him by the advocates
who speak for the prosecution and for the defence. If the evidence
suggests guilt to the judge, no doubt he will pronounce him guilty.
Then we can argue over whether or not the judge delivered a fair
verdict. But until such time as the judge pronounces his sentence,
the only thing we can begin to speak of his fate is in the terms of
- 'if' he is guilty.

I oppose capital punishment, no matter who is to be hanged, and for
what crime, for the same reason which makes me oppose the decision of
someone like Kasab (if he is indeed found guilty) to be an
executioner in the streets of Bombay on 26.11.2008. If Kasab is
proven to be the killer that the prosecution says he is, then no
doubt part of his motivation will be seen to be his own twisted
notion of justice. He too will then justify his conduct, not on the
grounds of lowly self defence ( a ground on which i can justify
violence) but  on the grounds of his sense of having to avenge what
he pereceives terrible wrongs. Just as you want the state to do by
killing him. What then, is the difference between his sense of
justice and yours?

Finally, I simply do not want to see the taxes I pay to the state
being used to commit pre-meditated slaughter.

I hope that gives you a sense of why I do not feel the need to say
sorry for what I feel.

best

Shuddha

On 03-May-10, at 8:52 PM, Bipin Trivedi wrote:

> If he is guilty? Do you have any doubt about brutal terror act and
> guilt of Kasav? It is surprising statement and feel sorry for your
> thought. For his guilt, no judge analysis is required and even
> small children also can understand for his brutal act and guilt.
>
> You prefer life imprisonment for whom? Who killed Indian and other
> people and the same Indian tax payers’ money to spent for his
> lifelong imprisonment. Again feel sorry for your thought.

Shuddhabrata Sengupta
The Sarai Programme at CSDS
Raqs Media Collective
shuddha at sarai.net