[Reader-list] TIME FOR TOUGH STAND

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Tue May 4 16:48:07 IST 2010

Dear Bipin,

I think Kasab, Lt. Colonel Purohit, Sadhvi Pragya, the recently
detained RSS functionaries arrested for their connections to the
blasts in Hyderabad and Ajmer, and all others accused in terrorism
cases should all be able to exercise their rights as accused as per
the law. This includes the right to appeal to a higher court against
the sentences that may be awarded to them. This is a right given in
the Indian constitution to anyone accused in a court of law. Do you
want this right to be changed, so that Kasab and Lt. Colonel Purohit
both be sent to be hanged without the right of a proper defence?

I hope that no one agrees with you, as that would amount to a gross
compromise with the standards of fairness and decency which all human
beings, regardless of their politics, need.

best

Shuddha