[Reader-list] 2 new visual essays and a workshop

Tasveer Ghar tasveerghar at gmail.com
Sat May 15 22:28:50 IST 2010

Dear Friends
In continuation of our series of visual essays based on the Priya Paul
Collection of Indian popular art, Tasveer Ghar (the house of images)
announces two new essays, by Richard Davis and Arvind Rajagopal, on
the themes of Hindu god posters and the images of commodity,
respectively:

(1) “Temple in a Frame: God Posters For and Of Worship”
By Richard H. Davis
http://www.tasveergharindia.net/cmsdesk/essay/97/

(2) “The Commodity Image in the (Post) Colony”
By Arvind Rajagopal
http://www.tasveergharindia.net/cmsdesk/essay/100/

We hope that you would enjoy reading these essays. You are invited to
write in your comments and feedback about the essay using the online
feedback feature given at the end of the essay.

While we are soon going to announce more essays based on the Priya
Paul images, the previous such essays can also be seen at the website.
http://www.tasveergharindia.net/frmessaylisting.aspx

We would also like to announce a forthcoming academic workshop on
“Changing Popular Visual Cultures of Muslim Shrines: Transcultural
Flows and Urban Spaces” to be held on 4th and 5th June 2010, at
Heidelberg, Germany, supported by the Cluster of Excellence, Asia and
Europe in Global Context. The details about this workshop can be seen
at the following link:
http://www.tasveergharindia.net/cmsdesk/essay/101/

This is also to remind you about our Call for Proposals for short
fellowships from the Cluster of Excellence, which was sent a few weeks
ago. You are encouraged to apply for the same as early as possible.
The details about the fellowship can be seen at this link:

http://tasveergharindia.net/cmsdesk/pages/fellowship.html

Looking forward to your visit to our site and your valuable
suggestions/feedback.

Thanks

The Tasveer Ghar team

--